Hi all,

I am generally interested in any project that helps counter misinformation
on the internet, and I think that our existing projects have limitations in
calling out fake news. Wikipedia, for example, has dedicated pages
surrounding misinformation related to various topic areas (such as this
article on Misinformation related to COVID-19
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_misinformation>) where fact
checking can be incorporated. However, such articles do not only contain
fact-checked statements, but they deal with misinformation in a
comprehensive way, covering the origin, extent and effect of
misinformation, in addition to commonly circulated bits of
mis(dis)information. Another possibility on Wikipedia is to create a list
of commonly circulated misinformation on notable themes (such as this
article on List of unproven methods against COVID-19
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unproven_methods_against_COVID-19>).
Turns out that such lists contain several primary sources as
citations, because there are too few available secondary sources which call
out misinformation.

In the realm of misinformation, the existing primary/secondary sources only
cover the tip of the iceberg, and there is so much more misinformation
circulating in the internet than is being documented by fact checking
websites and news media. Another limitation is that it is not possible to
add a piece of misinformation that you found on social media to a Wikipedia
page, because that amounts to original research. Searchability is also an
issue on Wikipedia, and our search interface on Wikipedia is not exactly
suitable for someone who wants to check if a piece of information is true
or not. What is possible to do now on WIkipedia is to give 'good
information' to the readers, and I see that it has limitations when it
comes to calling out misinformation.

I am also thinking about using Wikidata for incorporating
misinformation-related data. What if we can model data in a way on Wikidata
to show that AUTISM (item) is NOT CAUSED BY (property) vaccination, giving
reference to research from the WHO? That COVID-19 cannot be cured by garlic
according to the CDC? In this way, we could build up Listeria lists, say,
of 'unproven methods against COVID-19', making it easier for the readers to
find misinformation. It will then be possible for search engines to 'learn'
to weed out misinformation by 'reading' from Wikidata. The limitation in
this case would be to incorporate statements where truth is somewhat
ambiguous, or where we do not have sufficient evidence yet. Can yoga cure
back pain? Can vitamin E prevent ageing? These questions do not have
unambiguous answers. How can we deal with such situations? I think we'll
need to have robust policies in place on Wikidata before we try and
incorporate misinformation related data there.

In summary, I think that starting a new project for fact checking is
justified, given that our existing projects have limitations in calling out
misinformation.

Regards
Netha

Netha Hussain