On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 4:28 PM Amir Sarabadani <ladsgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After more than one year of design, discussion, vote, iteration, and
> months of legal work, I’m happy to announce that the logo of MediaWiki
> has been officially changed.

It looks beautiful and professional. Excellent work by Serhio, the
organizers & everyone else who made this change happen. The installer
variant [1] is also very clever.

The sunflower logo (which I quickly put together many years ago based
on a lovely photograph by Florence) has certainly had a good run, but
it was well past time for a fresh look, IMO. As you pointed out, it
violates basically all rules of good logo design. >:-)

Fun fact: It was originally a submission to the Wikipedia logo
contest, where it came in third and the current Wikimedia logo came in
second. [2]  It was pretty close - in some parallel universe, the
internationally recognized symbol of Wikipedia may not be the puzzle
globe, but a sunflower surrounded by square brackets. Make of that
what you will. ;-)

Warmly,
Erik

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:MediaWiki-2020-installer-large-icon.svg