Hi Steven :)  Good points.  I agree with Adam that this is a major energy
and enthusiasm drain for eitors.

As to how we could start with data collection:

* Monitor the market.
  a) Work with groups that are in the market and completely transparent
about their work to maintain a sense of rates and volume
  b) Search general contracting sites, general search engines, and specific
reputation brokers for new options; maintain a catalog
  c) Spot-check and commission work. As with Böhmermann
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_B%C3%B6hmermann>'s show - he spent under
500 Euros and identified two networks of UPE.

 * Build better tools for tracking and countering undisclosed paid editing
  a)  Tracking: automated scoring, as with ORES
  b)  Countering: As you say: tools to help people coordinate work, making
it more fun and collaborative to take on UPE. Especially for often-targeted
categories -- politicians + companies..
  b)  Both: Focus on tools for detecting large farms over time, and
cleaning up the mess left by a farm.

You're right about community size being a defense.  But only for a time --
the growing demand for this actively subverts community members. Olaf was
one!  So we also need to think of ways to reduce and divert that demand
into constructive channels.

SJ