One can argue about whether it was a good idea to give 15% of the
Foundation's annual grant budget to largely-unrelated charities as a snap
reaction to a wave of US political protests. But assuming it was - this
happened in the middle of the pandemic, with the WMF operating on extremely
restricted resources (with many staff working half-time, see [1]), and was
trying to react to an unexpected event quickly, so I doubt it could have
been done in a significantly more transparent or participatory manner. And
the community was also stretched pretty thin, there were constant
complaints of being consulted about too many things at the same time, with
the movement strategy discussions, board election discussions, code of
conduct discussions, branding discussions etc. going on, while people's
personal lives were in disarray due to the lockdowns and other
virus-related disruptions; some consultations had to be delayed, even the
board elections had to be delayed. So I doubt the community would have had
the capacity to practice oversight, had it been invited to.

That's not to say those we shouldn't ask for more transparency and
participation *going forward*, as those circumstances are now largely
behind us (at least in the Global North; not sure about community capacity
in the countries which would be the most logical beneficiaries of an equity
fund). But we should acknowledge the severe constraints the WMF was under a
year ago.

(disclaimer: I work at the WMF, in a non-grantmaking-related position. All
of the above is my personal opinion as a long-time community member.)

[1]:
https://medium.com/freely-sharing-the-sum-of-all-knowledge/wikimedia-coronavirus-response-people-first-8bd99ea6214b