cool think lukas,

the internatioinal energy agency publishes energy consumptoin erports from
time to time, the last one i am aware of is here:
https://www.iea.org/reports/data-centres-and-data-transmission-networks .
it says that data centers consume 1% of the global electricity. data
transfer consume 1.4 % of the global electric energy. and, interesting, it
says that information and communications tech firms account for 50% of the
renewable energy purchase globally. i read that google used 12.4 tera watt
hours, wikipedia servers consume 2 giga watt hours per year:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers. as the data needs to be
transported to clients reading it a rough guess would be another 3 giga
watt hours per year is used by wikipedia readers. does wikimedia
deutschland or the foundation really buy certificates to compensate for
this 5 GWH electricity consumption?

rupert