On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:36:12 +0100
Anasuya Sengupta <anas...@whoseknowledge.org> wrote:

> Tl;dr Urgent need to address the note denying race and ethnicity as
> “meaningful distinctions among people” in the Universal Code of Conduct
> (UCoC). The current wording is highly problematic and can result in
> endorsing systemic and individual discrimination and violence on the basis
> of race and ethnicity, rather than preventing it.
>
> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> We are writing this letter as the Whose Knowledge? user group, both to
> Wikimedia-l, as well as adding it to the talk page for the UCoC.[0] We
> endorsed the UCoC in the community voting process because we are committed
> to its principles and intentions (indeed, some of us have been expressly
> working towards it within the movement for a very long time, in multiple
> ways).

my take on it -
https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/philosophy/putting-cards-on-the-table-2019-2020/indiv-nodes/make-your-own-kind-of-music.xhtml

[[[

Make your own kind of music / Take your qualities to your advantage [
#make-your-own-kind-of-music ] Node Link

Similar to the Mama Cass Elliot song "make your own kind of music" or its Lady
Gaga modernisation "Born This Way", I have given an interpretation of Captain
Nemo (= "nobody" in Latin, and not to be confused with Nemo from the animated
film Finding Nemo) in Jules Verne's novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, whom
people keep finding interesting for what he believes are superficial reasons.
But these qualities are part of what makes us who we are.

The YouTuber band Cimorelli has used the fact that they are six sisters (who
also have five male brothers) in a large Roman Catholic family, a trend which
has received a lot of antagonism, from environmentalists, psychologists and the
media, to their advantage, and as a gimmick. As a result, they published many
videos of them covering hit songs, some original songs, and have been live
performing and collaborating with other singers and entertainers.

Naturally, they are not the only YouTube success story. But if you get an
opportunity, seize it. Were you invited to give a talk? Go for it. Even if you
were invited from the "wrong" reason, you will pave the road for future
lecturers. A sociology student invited you to talk to them about your work as
an open source / open content creator? Go for it. You thought of a new Chuck
Norris/etc. factoid? Write it down and share it on social media and chat.
Someone asked you out and you like them and are single? Go for it. You have an
idea for a nice video, story, screenplay, song, etc. Execute it.

I used to be jealous of Ayn Rand for writing so lucidly and coherently in The
Fountainhead and in Atlas Shrugged, whereas my style of screenplays and stories
was what I described as "staccato" where I do not mention any unnecessary
details. However, Rand likely felt the same way about Dostoevsky and Tolstoy,
whose overly verbose style is now the terror and hatred of many Literature
students.

Similarly, current and future generations will likely appreciate my staccato
style more than Ayn Rand’s. Make your own kind of music!

]]]

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
What does “Zionism” mean? - https://shlom.in/def-zionism

The Zeroth Rule of Fight Club is that Chuck Norris can talk about Fight Club.
No one tells Chuck Norris what not to do.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Chuck-Norris/