Hi Dariusz,

Many thanks for your reply. I wasn't really interested in having you
confirm a commitment to conduct future (s)elections in any particular way –
I was only interested in having you confirm the *absence* of any commitment
to conduct a free community election in 2024, along the lines of the one
conducted in 2021.

You have indeed confirmed that there is no such commitment to holding a
free community election in 2024.

Best,
Andreas

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 1:44 PM Dariusz Jemielniak <
djemieln...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>> this once.
>>>
>>> This whole change in process goes back to a "Call for feedback" that was
>>> put out on December 23, 2021, i.e. one day before Christmas Eve.[1]
>>>
>>> There is hardly a worse working day in the year to make such an
>>> announcement, for most people in our movement, if the intent truly is to
>>> attract widespread attention. Why not wait until the New Year, and make
>>> such an announcement once people are back at their desks, undistracted by
>>> holiday preparations?
>>>
>>> (Announcing potentially contentious items or U-turns this close to
>>> Christmas should really be forbidden. A similar thing was done in the
>>> Abstract Wikipedia licensing discussion.[2])
>>>
>>> Subsequently this "Call for feedback" process seems to have consisted
>>> almost exclusively of four calls or meetings between the WMF and a number
>>> of affiliates.[3] The description of these meetings on Meta includes the
>>> following item:
>>>
>>> *"By Victoria: Currently, there are a range of options for affiliates to
>>> be involved; e.g. the same way as before (ASBS) or; the affiliates could
>>> select among the candidates, and the community votes on those candidates,
>>> or swap it around, to have the community vote on a shortlist for the
>>> affiliates to vote on."*
>>>
>>> I assume that "Victoria" refers to WMF Board Member Victoria Doronina.
>>> If that is so, then it is somewhat obfuscatory – although not altogether
>>> incorrect, of course – to say on the page on Meta summarising these
>>> discussions:[4]
>>>
>>> *"One member of the community suggested that diversity (regional,
>>> gender, expertise and others) could be ensured if the election process was
>>> modified to allow the affiliates to choose a shortlist of 10-15 candidates.
>>> This is in a way similar to the Movement Charter Drafting Committee
>>> selection process. The community would later vote and select their
>>> representatives from that shortlist."*
>>>
>>> Of course Victoria is a longstanding community member, but she is also
>>> presently a WMF Board Member. If a WMF Board Member suggests changes to the
>>> way the WMF Board will be constituted in future, then I think it would be
>>> proper to identify this suggestion as originating from within the Board
>>> itself. If another Victoria was meant, then this point is moot.
>>>
>>> As for the question in your other mail, Chris, the two seats in question
>>> are not affiliate seats. For better or worse, they are now
>>> community-and-affiliate-selected seats.[3] They should be selected by a
>>> method that is equitable. The method Dariusz announced is not.
>>>
>>> A couple of people on the Kurier Diskussion page in de:WP and on Meta
>>> have made comments to the effect that volunteers always end up voting for
>>> white men living in the West. It's worth noting that the people placed 5th
>>> and 6th in last year's community vote were a woman from Ivory Coast (who
>>> lost out by the slimmest of margins) and a Brit living on Tenerife, a

>>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/ZJZQDVRN6KARSVYJJAJIQ4S2ED5IG3YP/
>>> [2]
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Abstract_Wikipedia/Licensing_discussion#Decision
>>> [3]