I haven't steeped myself in WMF governance details in the past couple of
years, but SJ's observation strikes me as sensible.

For example, after 15+ years of board governance, we shouldn't have to
spend time every year debating how the Board is to be selected, each time
resulting in a more complicated process than before.

The situation reminds me of the sort of rules-creep we frequently see on
English WIkipedia.  Each individual change is well-intentioned and on its
own may make sense, but the cumulative effect is much too complicated, and
to newcomers sometimes virtually impenetrable.  (Cf.
https://slate.com/technology/2014/06/wikipedias-bureaucracy-problem-and-how-to-fix-it.html
, which as it happens was written by a current WMF board member.)

That being said, I'm not sure what specifically should be done to address
this problem.  In particular, let's not create a committee and process to
decide whether we have too many committees and processes.

Best regards,
Newyorkbrad/IBM