On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 6:05 AM Yaroslav Blanter <ymb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I thought I would just let it go, but I do not think the discussion
> currently runs in a good direction.
>
> I do not think it is useful to advocate that Meta is a good discussion
> platform. It is not. It is dead. At best, there are some announcements
> posted there, and there is a small group of people who monitor and comment
> on them. If there is something really outrageous going on, such as the
> recent rebranding attempt, users can be mobilized from the projects to
> leave their opinion. This is done by the project users who care, it is done
> inside the projects or using some extra-Wikimedia means, and it can only
> happen occasionally. If this does not happen, Meta discussions attract at
> best a dozen commenters, some of whom are just negative towards everything.
>
> We tried to do something about this for at least 15 years (I myself was
> around and have been an active Meta user since 2007-2008). Things are not
> getting better, they are getting worse.

These are great points, thank you Yaroslav. The tone of this discussion is
painful to read; angry and argumentative, even rude. But that's likely a
function of your last point - things are not getting better, they are
getting worse. Yes, Meta is an ugly and dysfunctional place to hold a
discussion with many people. That reality leads WMF teams to search for
alternatives that work better to achieve specific, discrete goals. That's a
reasonable pursuit for Quim, for instance, whose scope is managing the
movement strategy process - not shepherding MediaWiki development
strategy.

Complaints are better directed at the ED and board - why, after all this
time, and spending hundreds of millions of dollars on [something] and
raising hundreds more, does MediaWiki feel frozen in 2008? Why are
discussions so often held on other platforms? If this is a desirable
outcome (e.g. a decision has been made that WMF can't replicate the ease of
use and modernity of other platforms, which are continually innovating, and
we made a decision not to chase Discord and IG and TikTok etc.) then maybe
that's ok - if it is articulated somewhere that people can see when they
are frustrated with why everything can't take place "on-wiki."