> Wikipedia is not asking any extra step nor age confirmation, and legally you
> can have an account even if you are underage.

In fact, we’ve pretty much concluded that disclosing a minor editors age
publicly, or to more people than necessary, would decrease their safety.
Requiring age verification may not disclose the childs’ age publicly, but it
would expose their age to more people. One would hope these people have secure
accounts, but that’s difficult to impossible to enforce. It would be more ideal
if no one knew the exact age of minor editors (“minor” being defined as 15 and
under at the moment), so accidental exposure is impossible.

> Children are consulting Wikipedia without limits, and they can find adult
> content easily. We don't have any advice about that, nor filters at Commons,
> where you can find even porn using words that were not intended for that.

I’d like to disclaim that I think pornographic pictures on Commons is a genuine
issue, and we need to take steps to decrease the amount of them. However, one
controversy we run into is the definition of “adult content,” and also
“appropriate for teenagers but not for children.” Even with porn, you kind of
know it when you see it but you can’t quite define it, particularly when there
might be an academic need to visually depict or describe sexual acts or human
anatomy (like, for example, on Wikipedia).  This makes filtration, even if
installed on a computer instead of a website, problematic.

I’ll respond to your “there’s no advice” below.

> The place is open, and we have massive visits from children, so providing
> them a better place, thought for them (as our strategic direction says) is
> better that not providing at all.

We’ve actually think of children quite a bit on Wikipedia. Hence, my last few
paragraphs, which have been partially informed by discussions with other
Wikimedians. If there’s any doubt, here are multiple links for proof:

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Protecting_children%27s_privacy
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Protecting_children's_privacy>
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Child_protection
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Child_protection>
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Guidance_for_younger_editors
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Guidance_for_younger_editors>
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Advice_for_parents
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Advice_for_parents>
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Protecting_children%27s_privacy

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Protecting_children's_privacy>

And that’s just from one search. I’m sure I can find other essays in more
obscure parts of Wikipedia, but I think six essays/policy/guideline pages is
quite enough. :-)

From,
I dream of horses
She/her