Dear all,

AffCom’s response here is to a specific Hub pilot project, not necessarily the long-term future of Hubs, and hence the initial statement published on July 11. AffCom is comprised of a body of volunteers from across the Movement who have joined the Committee from various projects and who have a wide range of experience across opportunities and challenges when Wikimedia groups gather and formalize.

We do not see the situation in which Hubs are emerging as any threat to the communities that already exist.  Hubs, in their structure, can be seen as a variety of affiliates who are gathering together to create something new. In this manner, AffCom is definitely in a position to help Hubs grow and prosper. While structures similar to the current discussion on Hubs have previously existed, there is an advantage in having Hubs work officially as structures similar to Affiliates, and this is where the word “pilot” comes in. This is intended to indicate the beginning of having Hubs as established structures with the current infrastructure of communities that already exists.

Kind regards
Wojciech, on behalf of AffCom