Hello all,

This might not be relevant for all, but since we are a global movement
striving for equity between all humans, I would like to share a reflection
regarding the situation of some of us, and the challenges that are
unfortunately not yet solved, although we are familiar with them since
years.

As you know, the Wikimedia summit is happening soon, and our user group
(Wikimedia Morocco User group) had a member invited to attend it in person.
As soon as he knew about his participation, our member started preparing
his documentation and went to book a time at the German embassy. To his
surprise, the first appointments were until October (while the conference
is in September). This resulted in this member not being able to attend the
summit in-person, as well as all our user group (as this is not
person-dependent, but systemic, so anyone living in Morocco and applying
for a visa will not get it before October).

Unfortunately, this issue is not an exception. It is almost the rule. In
every Wikimedia conference, there are people not able to attend because of
Visa issues, yet it is not properly addressed.

Many of the challenges in our movement are addressed or at least discussed
in different forums and strategies. However, it feels that the equity in
participating in-person for Visa required participants is not a priority.
Usually, invites come at a time that does not really allow a good
preparation of the documentation (and embassy appointments), and there is
no support with the embassies, so inexperienced volunteers are left to
themselves dealing with very official instances, who just simply reject
their applications or give them appointments within months from now.

I am sharing these personal reflections after witnessing several problems
that happened to many members through time with the same issue. I would
like to know how this can be better solved in the future? Can conferences
prepare documentation 6 months before they start? Can the WMF give official
support and help contacting embassies? Is there any way to address this in
a good manner?

I feel really sad that there is no equity in this matter. I know that it is
naïve to think about a world without borders, but isn't our Wikimedia
movement supposed to support everyone? How can we be better at this?

P.S: This post is not about myself or situation, but rather a reflection
after talking with many people facing this issue in my region, and who
missed so many events because of Visas. I don't want them to miss events
again in the future! Is it possible?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and I wish you a good
Tuesday!

Best regards,