On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 7:15 AM Gergő Tisza <gti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 8:22 AM Samuel Klein <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> + Automatic translation of discussions is essential, tangibly useful for
>> our communities, and very satisfying.
>>  --> how can we bring this to Mediawiki?  This is a core question for
>> community health, movement development, and tech.  It is a straightforward
>> concept, not exclusive to Discourse, and we should learn from it.
>>

> I filed T309920 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T309920> a while ago,
> it has some technical details. IMO it's doable (although things usually
> turn out harder than they look when they have to be built on top of an
> unstructured soup of wikitext, but AIUI the Editing team has done some
> great foundational work to make MediaWiki discussion pages more manageable,
> so maybe these days that's less of an issue) but it would be a largish
> project that would have to be slotted into the WMF's annual planning.

Thank you for this info. I hope it can be realistic and a priority for the
next annual plan.

>> + Forum threading and features (tags, emotes) are nice, beloved by some.
>>

> They aren't "nice", they are essential for scaling discussion. Just like
> you can't manage thousands of articles without some kind of category
> system, you can't manage thousands of discussions without some kind of
> tagging system. And likes or reacjis allow scaling up the number of
> participants without excluding anyone from the discussion who is unwilling
> to spend several hours a day on reading new comments - they both cut down
> on the number of comments, and allow software to highlight the most
> important or most representative comments.

Well said...will only add that even most simple option to add 'like'-like
feedback makes huge difference as it at least partly cuts down on extra
messages that feel like unnecessary spam in big mailing-lists and telegram
groups (those that did not turned on that recent feature).

>  --> how might we support integrating discourse into a) mediawiki, b)
>> interwiki links? (so that a forum post could link to *m:Power_structure*,
>> and a meta post could link to *f:Wikischool*)
>>

> MediaWiki is concept-addressable; forum software aren't because they need
> to deal with more and messier content. You could have something with like
> *f:123* but I'm not sure it adds value over plain links.
>

>From what I learned as Drupal user is that having multiple (fixed and
flexible) taxonomies for tagging could be super useful and I hope this
feature gets developed in both core Discourse and MediaWiki (even if just
on user end).

>> – Wikimedia Space was closed after a year, and its links no longer
>> resolve.
>>

> I apologize for that. Space needs to be migrated from Debian Stretch to
> Buster as part of a generic upgrade of Wikimedia Cloud infrastructure. I
> volunteered to do it but it turned out to be non-straightforward, or
> possibly I've been going at it wrong, I ran out of time, and then kinda
> forgot about it. I'll try to wrap it up soon.

Thank you for volunteering for this, but I think it should be
systematically done by more than one person and as part of WMF workflows.

>>  --> how can we add discourse into current versioning + archiving
>> workflows?
>>

> A good question regardless! There was some discussion in T235235
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235235>, but it didn't go far.
>
> See also T262275 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T262275>, which is
> about a different Discourse site (which I didn't think was worth keeping
> up), but it shows a minimal-effort solution for keeping discussion content
> available and links working in perpetuity, although in a rather ugly format.

Think living with ugly is kind of bearable in Wikimedia world ;-p

> ~ what it might look like for this to later become a more standard part of
>> our wikiverse (e.g., *forum.wikimedia.org/c/strategy
>> <http://forum.wikimedia.org/c/strategy>*).
>>

> There's a bunch of discussion at
> https://forum.movement-strategy.org/t/what-do-you-think-about-the-proposed-name-and-domain/53
> on why a *.wikimedia.org domain is unlikely to be used anytime soon.

IMHO use of w.wiki subdomains, should not be bad option  :-)