I strongly support Erik’s and other people’s call for the Wikimedia Foundation
to join Mastodon. Not only for the obvious ethical reasons, but also simply for
the fact that platforms like Mastodon can only grow long-term when there’s
enough activity and good content that makes engagement enjoyable and
worthwhile.

We’re currently seeing a good level of engagement around Wikipedia, Wikidata,
and other free knowledge-related topics on the platform. People on Mastodon are
eager to hear more about our work and we shouldn’t miss the additional outreach
opportunity that Mastodon offers. I surprised me to see how much engagement I
got out of a recent post explaining that "Taking photos for Wikipedia" was a
thing.

Now, with that being said, I think most people at the Foundation are on
vacation right now. Let’s be patient and hear their response to this thread
once they’re back.

All the best,

Frank