Hi,

(I’m Alek from Open Future Foundation, I largely lurk here, so I want to say
“Hi everyone!” first).

Jan, you’re right that the RAIL license does not meet any FOSS definitions. But
its authors, in their white paper, position this license not just as
“responsible” but also “open”. And project like RAIL or BLOOM, connected with
the HuggingFace company, aim to define a standard that fits the idea of
responsible sharing. Looking in more detail, the behavioural use limitations in
RAIL are ones that could probably be endorsed by Wikimedia, based on its Code
of Conduct and other community norms.

My point is that it would be good to explore to what extent “openish” AI stacks
can be a good fit for Wikimedia.
I follow the conversation around open/responsible AI licensing and understand
the need to not “dilute" FOSS licensing. But also appreciate that AI
researchers are actively setting a standard that they think is right for AI. I
think that their work should not be dismissed just because it’s not using one
of the canonical open licenses.

BY the way, there will probably be, anytime soon, an LLM that is available
under a “traditional” FOSS license. But for me that’s even more so a reason to
consider different options, and be able to make an informed decision.

Best,
Alek
--
Director of Strategy, Open Future | openfuture.eu | +48 889 660 444
At Open Future, we tackle the Paradox of Open: paradox.openfuture.eu/