From: Erik Moeller <eloque...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 7:23 AM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Re: Mozilla's social media pledge

The latest announcement from Twitter is that the site is going fully
pay-to-play -- to be in recommendation feeds or even vote in polls,
you will need to be a subscriber. [1] While it remains to be seen
whether the site will follow through, these plans are consistent with
the relentless promotion of a subscription-based model under the
company's current leadership.

While new alternatives are launching every month, Mastodon remains the
primary place folks are migrating to. This Dewey Square report is a
good read on recent developments, including the Mozilla Mastodon
instance, the Medium.com one (which is rapidly closing in on 10K
users), and the Flipboard one.
https://www.deweysquare.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/DSG-Snapshot-of-the-Twitter-Migration-March-2023.pdf

Being open source and community-based, Mastodon should be a perfect
fit for Wikimedia, and I still very much hope that Wikimedia
Foundation will set up an official presence in the fediverse, much
like many chapters/affiliates already have.

Warmly,
Erik

[1]
https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/27/23659351/elon-musk-twitter-for-you-verified-accounts-polls