These are interesting viewpoints indeed.

I think the connection between these awards and Wikipedia (especially in
the African continent) is clearly stated in the article. In fact, if it was
me who was writing this press release I would have started that sentence
with:

   - Most African Wikipedians struggle with adding content on the
   English/French Wikipedia because of lack of reliable references, and " *the
   awards recognise the essential role journalists play in creating
   well-researched articles that volunteer editors use as source materials to
   develop content on Wikipedia....*"

Colleagues, you will agree with me that there's no one size fits all
solution to fix our problems. We exist in a dynamic community where
something that was perfectly fine a few years ago may not work today. I
personally participated in the development of the MS2030 but I was also
fully aware that the recommendations of the MS2030 are not a silver bullet
or a formula to solve all our problems in the movement. It is our
collective thinking that by implementing the recommendations, our movement
will be in a better strategic position by year 2030 to address the issues
stated in the MS2030.

Now does that mean we should say NO to a pilot project that the WMF
consulted us to try out help close the knowledge gaps in Africa because
it's not part of the MS2030 which is our silver bullet to solving all our
problems? I don't know you tell me colleagues.

Best regards,
Bobby Shabangu