Dear all,
Some years ago, when we started the Education Program at the Basque Wikipedia,
we used a lot the Book Creator (or Collections) extension. It allowed to bind
some articles and download them in PDF or DOC/ODT formats for further editing
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Book). This was a great feature, as it
allowed us to send the teachers and students a collection of articles they had
created. The teacher could create free learning materials from the articles
created by their students, and download them in DOC/ODT format allowed to edit
them, rearrange and add other materials. Some teachers said us that they have
created learning materials using Wikipedia articles created by their students.

Anyway, in 2017 the Wikimedia Foundation decided to break the book creator,
because there were some errors in the PDF creator. So they disabled the book
creator and added a note saying that the system is "Undergoing changes". The
message is still visible, but no changes are being done. (You can follow the
last messages of redesigning the book creator
here:https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T175681).

I know that this is not the most important feature that is broken. There are
many other broken things. But creating materials for students, and being able
to read them offline or edited by teachers is a feature that aligns with our
mission and vision. As always happens, no one is accountable for having
something broke for six years. And it doesn't seem that this feature will
return in the future. At least, the PediaPress link is still working, but there
you can't edit your book, only pay for have it printed.

I think no one knows what will happen with this feature. I write this message
simply to say that I miss it a lot.

Thanks

Galder Gonzalez