Hi all,

I am Stephen LaPorte, the General Counsel at the Foundation.

We have received reports that Wikimedia Commons has been partially
inaccessible in Pakistan—depending on the user's Internet Service
Provider—for multiple years, starting as early as 2021. My understanding is
that it does not affect the display of images on Wikipedia, and it predates
the blocking and unblocking
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2023/02/03/wikimedia-foundation-urges-pakistan-telecommunications-authority-to-restore-access-to-wikipedia-in-pakistan/>
of Wikipedia in February 2023.

We have not received any formal notice or a recent legal demand related to
Wikimedia Commons, so we do not know on what grounds the site is partially
inaccessible or how many people have been affected since this started.
Overall, traffic to Wikimedia Commons from Pakistan before 2020 is too low
to establish a clear pattern that shows when this started or the extent of
the disruption. All these factors have made understanding the situation
difficult and require a balanced response, and we remain committed to
knowledge access in the country.

After Yaroslav reported
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Archive/2023/07#Is_Wikimedia_Commons_blocked_in_Pakistan?>
not being able to access the site last year, we investigated further. We've
shared information about this situation with other organizations that
monitor internet censorship and advocate for internet freedom in Pakistan.

We believe that access to knowledge is a human right, and we oppose
internet censorship in all forms. We believe that limiting access to
projects like Wikimedia Commons deprives people of access to important
historical and educational content and makes it more difficult for local
volunteers to share their media with the world.

If you experience censorship of the Wikimedia projects, you are welcome to
and we can help route the question to the right technical experts within
the Foundation.

Best,
Stephen

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 10:06 AM Yaroslav Blanter <ymb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that only Commons is currently blocked in Pakistan.
>
> In July 2023, when I visited, I could (and did) edit Wikipedia and
> Wikivoyage in several languages, as well as Wikidata. To be honest I did
> not try Urdu Wikipedia, but I guess if it were blocked in Pakistan we would
> know this.
>
> My impression from the communication with WMF I described earlier was that
> they learned about the Commons block from me. I might be wrong of course.
>
> Best
> Yaroslav
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 5:14 PM Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Could someone please explicitly state which Wikimedia projects are
>> blocked in Pakistan?  This thread starts around the blocking of Commons,
>> but information provided by James Heilman implies that (at least one point)
>> ALL Wikimedia projects are blocked.  So, to be clear, are Wikipedias also
>> blocked?  Other projects?  Understanding the extent of the block will help
>> the broader community to best assist our Pakistani colleagues in continuing
>> to contribute, and for helping the broad Pakistani citizenship to access
>> our work.
>>
>> It may be helpful for someone from the WMF who is in a position to report
>> to tell us exactly which projects are currently blocked, and whether or not
>> any of the originally blocked projects have now had blocks lifted.
>>
>> Risker/Anne
>>
>> Risker/Anne
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 at 11:21, Saqib Qayyum <saqibqayy...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I remember this statement was issued when Wikipedia was briefly blocked
>>> last year.
>>> --
>>> Saqib Qayyum

Stephen LaPorte (he/him/his)
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation

*NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*