From: Analytics [mailto:analytics-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Dan
Andreescu
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 4:24
To: A mailing list for the Analytics Team at WMF and everybody who has an
interest in Wikipedia and analytics.
Cc: Wiki Medicine discussion
Subject: Re: [Analytics] Zika

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Leila Zia <le...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

​Hey Dan,​

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 3:02 AM, Dan Andreescu <dandree...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

So, I felt personally compelled in the case of Zika, and the confusing coverage
it has seen, to offer to personally help.

​Which aspect of the coverage are you referring to as confusing?​

Well, so the first reports were that 3500 cases of microcephaly were linked to
Zika in Brazil, since October.  If you do the math, with Brazil's birth rate of
300,000 per year, 3500 for three months is incredibly high.  The number went up
to 4400 before it was discredited and the latest I read is that it's down to
404 [1] and there are claims of over-inflation.  That same article talks about
serious doubts that Zika even has anything to do with microcephaly.  In reading
around some more about the subject, it seems like a multi-variate analysis gone
wrong.

I can run queries, test hypotheses, and help publish data that could back up
articles.  Privacy of our editors is of course still obviously protected, but
that's easier to do in a specific case with human review than in the general
case.

​​

​​I'm up for brainstorming about what we can do and helping. Please keep me in
the loop. In general, given that a big chunk of our traffic comes from Google
at the moment, it would be great to work with the researchers in Google
involved in Google's health related initiatives to produce complementary
knowledge to what Google can already tell about Zika (for example, this
<https://www.google.com/trends/story/US_cu_p-RCiVIBAAC37M_en> ). I'll reach out
to the few people I know to get some more information.
Depending on what complementary knowledge we want to produce, working with
WikiProject Medicine can be helpful, too.

Cool, yeah, I'm nowhere close to knowledgeable on this, I can data-dog though :)

[1] www.cbc.ca/news/health/microcephaly-brazil-zika-reality-1.3442580