I got 99 problems, but a bug ain't one.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 1:30 PM, Dan Garry <dga...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> In a twist of irony, this issue was actually caused by a patch I wrote
> <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/207727/> to fix an annoying little bug
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96944> in the app where the namespace
> of some pages was being set to null when they were saved to the user's
> storage.
>
> You can see in the changes I made to the persistence helper
> <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/207727/3/wikipedia/src/main/java/org/wikipedia/history/HistoryEntryPersistenceHelper.java>
> that I took the column that was the timestamp and used it for the namespace
> instead. This was my first change to the database layer of the app, and I
> didn't quite realise the ramifications of doing what I did. Since Dmitry's
> fix <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/228766/> noted that it was silly
> to ever use column indices rather than looking them up by name, I don't
> feel *too* bad about it.. ;-)
>
> 99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs, take one down, patch it
> around, 127 little bugs in the code.
>
> Dan
>
> On 2 August 2015 at 17:14, Oliver Keyes <oke...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> This Friday, Trey Jones (our awesome Relevance Engineer) and I spent
>> some time playing detective with the sampled request logs and a list
>> of the most common queries resulting in zero results. We found a lot
>> of interesting things. In particular:
>>
>> 1. A common pattern in which queries, for no particular reason, had a
>> UNIX timestamp preceding them (example: "1436336857594:2019 FIFA
>> Women's World Cup"). This is responsible, on its own, for 3% of zero
>> results queries - and it appears to be caused by the Wikimedia Apps.
>> 2. A search for strings in quotes followed by 'film' (example:
>> "\"Seventh Son\" film"). This is caused by a media player and is
>> responsible for around 0.5% of zero results queries.
>> 3. A search for "quot" strings (example: " quot James Tree quot").
>> This is from the National Library of Australia and is again around
>> 0.5% of zero results queries.
>> 4. A search for a page title and the name of a page that appears as a
>> link within that page (example: "\"2C-T-19\" AND \"JWH-081\""). This
>> is about 6% of queries and appears to come from a German IP address.
>> We're unaware of who this person is or what they're trying, so if
>> anyone knows what on earth this is, we'd appreciate the hint ;).
>>
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107724 is a card representing the
>> need to reach out to these people, where possible (obviously this will
>> be easier for the app team than anyone else ;p). If we can get all of
>> these solved for, we could drop the zero results rate for full text by
>> about 10% Obviously cutting /all/ of it out is improbable, but we're
>> hopeful that we can drop this number and get a better understanding of
>> what third-party users are trying to achieve, to boot.
>>
>> --
>> Oliver Keyes
>> Count Logula
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-search mailing list
>> Wikimedia-search@lists.wikimedia.org
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-search
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Dan Garry
> Lead Product Manager, Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-search mailing list
> Wikimedia-search@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-search
>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-search mailing list
Wikimedia-search@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-search

Reply via email to