On 8 September 2015 at 12:01, Erik Bernhardson <ebernhard...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> The most obvious place we could see a benefit from this is when multiple
> queries are issued to elasticsearch from a single web request. If the
> second query doesn't depend on the results of the first it can be issued in
> parallel. This is actually somewhat common use case, for example doing a
> full text and a title search in the same request.

Common, indeed; our Wikipedia apps run both prefix and full text searches
at the same time
<https://github.com/wikimedia/apps-android-wikipedia/blob/master/app/src/main/java/org/wikipedia/search/TitleSearchTask.java#L32-L56>
to fetch suggestions alongside the prefix results. It would be interesting
to shave some time off those requests in this manner.

Let's get a Phab task in the backlog to track any further investment here.

Thanks!

Dan

--
Dan Garry