On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM, ENWP Pine <deyntest...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Tonight in #wikimedia-us at 6 PM Pacific will be the next Wikimedia US
> meeting. Included on the agenda is discussion of the proposed Wikimedia
> Cascadia chapter.
>
> Possible geography for the Chapter includes California, Oregon,
> Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska until such time as some of these
> areas have more localized chapters. Also under discussion is asking
> WM-Canada to share British Columbia with WM-Cascadia.
>
> Please join the discussion in #wikimedia-us,
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Cascadia, and/or
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Cascadia.
>
> Anyone who is interested in discussing a potential chapter that would
> include the Bay area, please join the discussion!
>
> Pine

I may not be able to make it, but wanted to express interest and bring up
one point of discussion...

In the past, I have informally asked Chapter Committee members about the
possibility of a chapter like this. I was told with no equivocation that
chapters which officially spanned multiple municipalities were forbidden,
and that we could have a Wikimedia Oregon, Washington, or California only
because we would have to pick a state in which to become officially
incorporated in and be responsible for.

My suggestion would be to avoid seeking official chapter status, and
instead form a group like Wikimedia Cascadia as a user group or thematic
organization.

Steven