On 06/14/2016 12:56 PM, Stephen LaPorte wrote:
> I wanted to share a copy of a letter that we sent on AB
> 2880:
> https://policy.wikimedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/wikimedia-ab2880.pdf
>
> As well as a blog post on the
> topic:
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/06/14/california-government-public-domain/

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/06/california-legislature-drops-proposal-copyright-all-government-works

    EFF warned the bill’s authors about these problems in early
    May. Soon after, numerous other organizations joined in opposition
    from library groups to open government advocates to newspapers,
    Internet companies, and the California Chamber of Commerce. And
    more than 360 Californians wrote to their state legislators through
    EFF’s Action Center to sound the alarm.

    Those efforts have paid off. This week, the bill was amended to
    remove the new intellecutual property powers and the new exemptions
    to CPRA. What remains are provisions for better tracking of state
    patents, trademarks, and copyrights, and a new requirement that
    state agencies “consider” the intellectual property rights of
    all parties when they write contracts. These changes should help
    avoid situations like the ongoing trademark dispute over hotels and
    campgrounds in Yosemite National Park, without harming public access
    to government records and data.

    Based on the new amendments, EFF is dropping its opposition to
    A.B. 2880. Thank you to everyone who weighed in on this issue for
    sending a strong message that the abuse of intellectual property
    laws can harm many different sectors of society, and that preventing
    those abuses needs to be a top priority for our lawmakers. Thanks
    also to Assemblymember Mark Stone for listening and responding to
    Californians’ concerns with this bill.

Well done!

Mike