---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Romaine Wiki <romaine.w...@gmail.com>
Date: 2 January 2015 at 00:48
Subject: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Fwd: Happy Public Domain Day!
To: Wiki Loves Monuments Photograph Competition
<wikilovesmonume...@lists.wikimedia.org>

On January 1 we celebrate Public Domain Day [1] as many works of
authors who died 70+ years ago now enter the public domain and can be
used freely.

Let us be aware: copyright is temporary. It only lasts during the
authors lifetime and 70 years afterwards (in most countries). During
those years it is limiting Wikipedia and her sister projects in
showing works of art, literature, public art and buildings in
countries without freedom of panorama [2], and more in the articles.
But now a new batch is freed from copyrights!

An overview of images and texts that are restored or added to the
Wikimedia Commons, are collected on:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Romaine/Public_Domain_Day/2015

Many of these files still need a place in articles. You can help!

You can also help by uploading new files of subjects that are freed of
copyrights.
You can also help by tagging all requests for deletion pages with the
category when the file can be restored, which is/was deleted. [3]

As I follow the log of restored files this week, more images and texts
will follow. If still files or texts are missing in the list, let me
know or add them yourselves.

A very happy Public Domain Day!

Romaine

[1] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Domain_Day