You can find some advice here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Mass_account_creation

Best is indeed to have people create their own accounts before the event.
You probably will want to be ready for people who haven't done it arriving
at the event, though, so you'll need someone with the accountcreator right.
As I'm an admin and admins automatically have accountcreator, I can help if
I'm available at the time. It'd be best to make sure you have someone with
accountcreator available (remotely or otherwise) who can create accounts as
needed.

Todd (Seraphimblade)