Some thoughts, then -

For (1), I'm a bit uncertain if it would actually work for Wikimedia projects - many take very strong stances regarding anything involving money, and the like, but on the other hand I really think your best bet would be to ask the projects themselves directly at some point. It might depend on how it actually works, what the tip means - is it directly money, or something like reddit gold or something, or... I'm not sure.

Whatever the case, though, I think you're probably spot on with (3). Third-party projects would probably have a lot of uses for this sort of thing in general, and perhaps not even the same uses on different projects, so they would not just make good test cases, but actually make it a thing in general and establish different uses that anyone might adopt. And yeah, based on that, I would definitely recommend for (2) to use these as your examples when you make whatever proposals/queries to Wikimedia projects later. Just 'these are some things that work for other projects and how, would you be interested in adopting one of these models or anything like them?' sort of thing, because then you could also probably address actual questions and concerns with real data.

You might also want to make similar queries as this on certain project lists in the meantime, if you haven't already, since they might be able to tell you more about specific needs/concerns to look into as you go.

-I