Hello,

The German Wikipedia chapter is organizing the conference and their team
gives scholarships. The scholarship deadline was September 20, I think, but
perhaps there are other funding options. I recommend contacting them on the
conference's talk page.
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Diversity_Conference>

The process for getting funding for any Wikimedia conference is generally a
culture check - you demonstrate somehow that you are part of the Wikimedia
community - and then propose an idea and get community support. Being part
of the community is a big part of this because huge numbers of outsides
send advice into the community without understanding anything about how
Wikipedia works, and the community simply does not respond to such requests
because nothing comes of them.

I tried your interface and it is really cool. Other people should check it
out. You have lots of options for soliciting other community support but I
would be happy to help you interface with the Wikipedia community as you
like. To start I have the following advice:

   1. Identify your Wikipedia username when talking to Wikipedians
   2. post to relevant Wikiprojects
   3. post to the Idea Lab, which is the grants forum
   4. post to conference organizers, such as the diversity conference
   5. subscribe to relevant mailing lists, in your case probably gender gap
   6. get an affiliation with a Wikimedia chapter in a relevant country

Thoughts?

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM, J. Nathan Matias <natemat...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I was told that I should write to this list with questions about finding a
> scholarship for funding to attend the Wikimedia Diversity conference.
>
> I'm a PhD student at MIT and have been designing ways to use gender data
> to crowdsource greater participation in expanding Wikipedia's coverage of
> women. This early prototype <http://passingon.followbias.com>, for
> example, uses data about women in 20 years of New York Times obituaries.
> Users can read about those women and check to see if they're in Wikipedia.
> As readers explore, their micro-actions are pooled into a dataset of
> resources that can be used to create stub articles for notable people.
>
> In the long term, it should be possible to connect with other data sources
> in archives and newspapers in ways that bring new editors into Wikipedia.
>
> Think of it as a precursor to a Wiki Loves Monuments for diversity. I have
> applied to the conference in hopes that my work on data could support such
> an initiative.
>
> 1. What's the process for getting funding?
> 2. Who should I try to team up with on this effort
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> J. Nathan Matias <http://natematias.com/> : MIT Media Lab : (001)857 277
> 3397 : @natematias <http://twitter.com/natematias> :