  From: Abhishek Suryawanshi
  To: Wikimedia India Community list ; wikimedia-bos...@lists.wikimedia.org ;
glam...@lists.wikimedia.org ; wikimedia-califor...@lists.wikimedia.org ;
Wikimedia New York City Discussion list ; educat...@lists.wikimedia.org ;
mediawiki-in...@lists.wikimedia.org
  Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 9:40 PM
  Subject: [Wikimedia Education] Indic Language Wikipedia Outreach in
UnitedStates

  ​Hello,

  Happy New Year everyone! :)

  We are planning Indic Language Wikipedia workshops in U.S.
  Please go through Project Link :

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Indic_Language_Wikipedia_Outreach_in_United_States

  Project idea
  What is the problem you're trying to solve?
  Indic languages represent a large portion of languages used worldwide. The
number of contributors for Indic languages has been lagging other language
families for a variety of reasons. Internet connectivity in India being
limited/expensive is a major reason among them. Indic wikiprojects have beens
working to encourage more contributors for Indic Languages.

  There are a number of areas on Indic wikipedias where content is either
lacking or is of poor quality. Health-related content is a prime example of
this.

  Potential for solution
  There is a strong and diverse Indian diaspora in the United States. Eastern
Seaboard has a large number of Indian expats that have either settled there or
live there for work/business. This was evidenced by the 20,000+ people
attending a speech in Hindi by the Prime Minister of India at Madison Square
Garden, New York.

  In general, the Indian origin community in the United States has very high
literacy rates. They are also well-versed in English as well as at least one of
Indic languages. Access to Internet is not an issue for this demographic.
Enthusiasm for advancement of Indic languages is also evident by the many
initiatives being pursued by this group.

  What is your solution?

    1.. Dedicated workshops for Indian Languages in United States of America.
    2.. Informal User Group to conduct periodic meetings/offline events.
    3.. Collaboration with local chapters and editors to improve Offline
Wikipedia in Indian Languages.
    4.. Special content (health related articles/essential medicines info etc)
on Indic Wikipedia can be improved by specialized dedicated group of Indian
medical students in U.S.
    5.. Collaboration with (U.S based) like minded individuals and
organizations dedicated to improve Open Knowledge movement in India.
  Pilot Project
  Outreach events in

    a.. New York,
    b.. Washington D.C,
    c.. Boston

    d.. Colorado Springs
      a.. A session here will serve as an aide to developing and/or fine-tuning
presentations and sequence of activities.
    a.. San Diego.
  Goals
    a.. Reach out to more Indians to increase their understanding of how Indic
Language Wikimedia projects work, and enable them to pass this knowledge on to
others.
    b.. Improving and building upon contributions to Wikimedia projects in
English, Hindi, Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati, Commons etc.
    c.. Increasing visibility, reach and access to Wikimedia projects amongst
Indian Americans, especially in students.
    d.. Sign up students interested in our various activities & any other
training workshops planned.
    e.. Conduct outreach sessions in universities, student fests, fairs etc.
  Other benefits
    a.. A strong, diverse and engaged students community.
    b.. Growth in editorship and readership from U.S.

  ​We look forward to hear from you. Kindly share your views here -

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Indic_Language_Wikipedia_Outreach_in_United_States

  Keep Supporting, Keep Inspiring :-)

  ​
  --

  ​Warm Regards,

  Abhishek Suryawanshi

  User:AbhiSuryawanshi

  ​

---
Αυτό το email είναι απαλλαγμένο από ιούς και κακόβουλο λογισμικό, επειδή είναι
ενεργή η προστασία avast! Antivirus.