Hi All,

We are gearing up for the February 7th #BlackLivesMatter Wikipedia
Edit-a-thon
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Black_Life_Matters_Editathon>
this 12noon-5pm this Saturday February 7th at the NYPL Schomburg Center for
Research in Black Culture in Harlem, NY (organized by NYPL
<http://www.nypl.org/locations/schomburg>, METRO
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/METRO>, Wikimedia NYC
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_York_City>), as well as the
AfroCROWD Editathon
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/AFROcroWd_and_Interglider.ORG/Outreach_to_Afrodescendant_community_in_US>
(Afro Free Culture Crowdsourcing Wikimedia) at the Brooklyn Public Library
Central on Feb 7th and 8th (organized by Alice Backer, Milos Rancic,
Wikimedia NYC).

In addition to having a big community response at the Schomburg we have had
enough enthusiasm so that there are Black History Month Edit-a-thons being
planned by other organizers in Nashville
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Nashville/Our_Story_Matters_Editathon>,
Westchester County
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Westchester_County/Black_Life_Matters_Editathon>
(SUNY Purchase), and in Washington D.C. (note: we will be running a Google
Hangouts on Air/Youtube livestream with simultaneous events on February
7th). Richard Knipel has generously created a general launching page for
all Black History Month events at Wikipedia:Black WikiHistory Month
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Black_WikiHistory_Month>, and
there has already been some exciting and overwhelming press coverage by
major media outlets, Black History Month special reports, and Twitter (!),
which I will be documenting on Wiki
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Black_WikiHistory_Month#Press>.

If you are a Wikipedian and plan to attend any of these events, please sign
up on the Event page(s) so we can have an estimate of facilitators we will
have on hand (though you are welcome to sign up as a participant but just
plan to do your own editing thing rather than help do training, as you
wish!)

*I can’t emphasize enough how thankful we are to have volunteer Wikipedians
attend these events, participate remotely, and take interest in the
multicultural gaps in Wikipedia. You all inspire me and the spirit of your
labor has attracted global attention to Black History and to the
socio/political import of Wikipedia! *

 *One final note: we are collectively looking for experienced Wikipedians
in the SUNY Purchase/ Westchester area that might be able to help out at
the SUNY Purchase event scheduled for Saturday February 7th. Please email
me if you are in that area, and would like to help out! *

Let me know if there are any further questions.

All the best,

Kindest regards,

Dorothy Howard

--
Dorothy Howard, Wikipedian-in-Residence and Open Data Fellow
Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO)