Hello everyone,

Please find below Wikimedia UK's monthly report for October 2012. As well
as the usual updates on GLAM, outreach, communications, fundraising and
other activities, it also includes the results of our membership survey.

You can find the report online at
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reports/2012/October but plain text is below
for those who prefer to read the report in an email.

Thanks and regards,

Stevie

GLAM activities

   -

   *14* - Andy Mabbett addressed the *Central and Eastern Europe Wikimedia
   conference* <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2012>
about
   recent developments in UK and international GLAM collaboration.
   -

   *19* - Andy Mabbett spoke to the *CityCamp
Coventry*<http://citycampcov.org.uk/> event,
   about Wikimedia and GLAM.
   -

   *22* - Andy Mabbett delivered a training session on Wikipedia editing to
   history students at the University of Birmingham, as part of the
*International
   Dunhuang Project* <http://en.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/BL/IDP>.

Expert outreach

The London School of Economics' *Impact of Social Sciences blog* ran a
guest post by Martin Poulter, *"Writing for Wikipedia has forced me into
good scholarly habits and accessible
writing"*<http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2012/10/04/poulter-writing-wikipeda-scholarly-habits/>.
This asks academics to view Wikipedia as an opportunity to write about
their own fields and as an opportunity for educational assignments.

Martin Poulter, Charles Matthews, Tom Morris and Edward Harding delivered a
*day workshop at for the JISC Digital Infrastructure
team*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/JISC_DI_team_training_workshop> at
the JISC headquarters in London. Many of the trainees had managerial or
leadership roles in elearning, research infrastructure or digital
humanities. As well as basic editing, the workshop looked at different
kinds of effort to improve Wikipedia, and how the different Wikimedia
Projects work together to provide a "digital infrastructure" for each other
and the wider web.

 Other activities

   -

   *13* - Fæ addressed the *Central and Eastern Europe Wikimedia
conference*<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2012>,
   about the Chapters Association.
   -

   *WereSpielChequers* <http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:WereSpielChequers>
    and *Leutha* <http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Leutha> ran a
   categorisation workshop for donors who were also willing to donate some
   time to Wikimedia.
   -

   The second "train the trainers" session took place in London

 Microgrants

 Two microgrants have been approved this month.

   -

   *Microgrants/Birthday
2012<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Microgrants/Birthday_2012>
   *is for supplies for WMUK's birthday party celebrating the 4th
   anniversary of the chapter and the 1st anniversary of us achieving charity
   status - the party will take place at the *London wikimeet on 11 November
   * <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/London/63>, to which all are
   welcome. The application was submitted by WMUK's intern, Hasina Khatun.
   -

   *Microgrants/32GB usb stick for Commons
dump*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Microgrants/32GB_usb_stick_for_Commons_dump>
is
   for a 32GB memory stick to support the operations of
*Commons:User:Faebot<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Faebot>
   *without wearing out the operator's computer. The bot is currently
   working on categorising the Geograph images on Commons, as well as doing
   other similar tasks. The application was submitted by Fæ.

 A number of microgrants were marked as completed this month, including:

   -

   *Microgrants/Cambridge University Wikipedia
Society*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Microgrants/Cambridge_University_Wikipedia_Society>
provided
   funding to get the Cambridge University Wikipedia Society started via a
   stall at their fresher's fair, with freebies to give away. The report for
   the microgrant, which was submitted by*User:Deryck
Chan*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Deryck_Chan>,
   said "We now have a mailing list, with 237 members on it, a huge jump from
   only 10 wiki-page members and volunteers prior to the fair. Volunteers at
   the stall included Charles Matthews, Daniel Thomas, and myself. We've also
   received great support from SRCF. Almost all freebies were given out; the
   T-shirts and pens for volunteers of our stall created a particularly
   professional image by making everything in the stall Wikimedia-branded.
   Additionally, the nearby stalls, all science and technology related, were
   also predominantly using Wikipedia pens for their sign-up sheets!"
   -

   *Microgrants/Imperial College Wikipedia
Society*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Microgrants/Imperial_College_Wikipedia_Society>

Information about microgrants that are currently running, and how to submit
a microgrant application of your own, are at
*Microgrants/Applications*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Microgrants/Applications>
.
 UK press coverage (and coverage of UK projects & activities)

*A list of recent press coverage can be seen
here*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Media_coverage_summary_August_-_October_2012.pdf>
.

Upcoming activities in November

For events in December and onwards, please see
*Events*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events>
.

   - *01* - *Ethical Properties Wikipedia Workshop/November
event<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ethical_Properties_Wikipedia_Workshop/November_event>
   *
   - *03* - *Robin Owain addresses The Welsh Academy Writers' Fair,
Cardiff<http://www.llenyddiaethcymru.org/newyddion/i/141841/>
   *
   - *04* - *RBSA Backstage
Pass*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/RBSA_Backstage_Pass> in
   Birmingham
   - *04* - *Oxford meetup*
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Oxford/1> 1st
   ever Oxford meetup
   - *04* - *Royal Birmingham Society of Artists
editathon<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/RBSA_Backstage_Pass>
   *
   - *06* - Training at De Montfort University
   - *06* - Workshop at the National Library of Scotland
   - *07* - Workshop at the National Library of Scotland
   - *08* - Workshop at Edinburgh University
   - *09* - Workshop at EDINA, Edinburgh
   - *11* - *London meetup <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/London/63>
   *
   - *17–18* - Board meeting (TBC) - in person
   - *18* - *Reading
meetup*<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Reading/2> 2nd
   Reading meetup
   - *20* - Training at De Montfort University
   - *24* - *Liverpool meetup<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Liverpool/6>
   *
   - *25* - *Manchester Girl Geeks editing
day<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Girl_Geek_Dinner/Manchester_November_2012>
   *
   - *25* - *Cambridge University Wikipedia Society gathering and editing

workshop*<http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Wikipedia:Cambridge_University_Wikipedia_Society/November_2012_gathering>

Administrative activities
Finances

   -

   The current state of each of our budgets is *outlined in a Google

Spreadsheet*<https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org.uk/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkP38YPQ7Tg3dEQyQnRTMUhDMnV1RHdHekhqSXZvZHc#gid=0>.
   This details spend to date, and a rough estimate of future spending. This
   spreadsheet is too complex to be placed directly on a wiki. Our yearly
   spend is heavily 'end-loaded', partially due to the rapid growth of
   Wikimedia UK.
   -

   Q3's Management Accounts (covering August, September, October) are
at *File:Wikimedia
   UK Management Accounts Q3
2012.pdf*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_UK_Management_Accounts_Q3_2012.pdf>.
   These are also available in spreadsheet format for those interested -
   contact richard.symondswikimedia.org.uk

 Board activities

The Board's main activity during October was the appointment (jointly with
the Wikimedia Foundation) of Mike Hudson and Compass Partnership to conduct
an independent review of our governance arrangements. This was the
principal topic of discussion at our Board phone call on 9 October (*minutes
* <http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes_9Oct12>), and by the end of October
the review was under way.

On 10 October we received the conclusions from a financial review from
Garfield Byrd, the Wikimedia Foundation's Chief of Finance and
Administration. These have now been
*published*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Governance/2012_Financial_review_by_Garfield_Byrd,_WMF_CFO>
along
with a *plan* <http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Finance_Action_Plan_2012/13>
setting
out our plans to address the issues raised in both Garfield's report and
that of our auditors.
 News from the Chief Exec  *For information on Jon's activities this month,
see **News from the
Office*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/News_from_the_Office/Posts>
*.* The updates about the Wikimedia UK Interns can be found there too,
together with *here* <http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/09/intern/>.
Communications

October was a month for repositioning our communications. The discussions
around governance continued, culminating in the appointment of Compass
Partnership to conduct the WMUK / WMF commissioned independent governance
review. The biggest communications success this month was *Ada
Lovelace Day*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace_Day_2012>.
This was the result of much excellent work by Daria and the team at the
Royal Society. The event gained widespread media coverage and received an
excellent reception on social media. You can see a comprehensive list of
coverage on the event's page. October's press coverage is *recorded in the
attached
document*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Media_coverage_summary_August_-_October_2012.pdf>,
along with coverage from September. In other news, discussions have begun
on how we can improve the monthly reports. Suggestions include developing a
Signpost-style newsletter, featuring content created by WMUK members,
volunteers and UK-based editors. *Get involved in the discussion
here*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/What_would_a_WMUK_Signpost-style_newsletter_look_like%3F>.
Blog posts in October:

   - 9 October - *One year on: 12 months working with the Herbert Art
   Gallery and
Museum<http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/10/one-year-on-12-months-working-with-the-herbert-art-gallery-and-museum/>
   *
   - 13 October - *A message form the Wikimedia UK
Board<http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/10/a-message-from-the-wikimedia-uk-board/>
   *
   - 19 October - *Bringing evidence based medicine to the
world<http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/10/bringing-evidence-based-medicine-to-the-world/>
   *
   - 24 October - *Wikimedia UK and Wikimedia Foundation appoint
   independent
reviewer<http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/10/wikimedia-uk-and-wikimedia-foundation-appoint-independent-reviewer/>
   *
   - 25 October - *Hasina says goodbye to Wikimedia
UK<http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/10/goodbye-wikimedia-uk/>
   *
   - 26 October - *The story of Ada Lovelace, the Royal Society and
   Wikimedia
UK*<http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/10/the-story-of-ada-lovelace-the-royal-society-and-wikimedia-uk/>

Fundraising and Membership  *Fundraising*

This month, we received £443.26 in one-off donations, with 13 individual
donations. The average donation amount was £34.09 - 62% of these donors
have had Gift Aid Declarations made and matched with their records. If
anyone would like a full (but anonymised) csv file with more information,
please get in touch with katherine.bavagewikimedia.org.uk and let her know
your requirements.

As for direct debit donations, there were 5349 successful direct debits
this month, bringing in a total of £20,917.12.
 *Membership*

Up to 31st October 2012:

   -

   198 new (membership commenced in preceding three months) and current
   members
   -

   51 'grace' members (membership within six months after date membership
   should be renewed)

 This adds up to 249 members who are eligible to vote

   -

   155 Expired members

A membership survey was distributed on 30th October 2012 , the results were
made public as part of the reports to the Board meeting of 17th November
2012. You can view them
*here*<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WMUKMemSurveySummaryNov12.pdf>
 (pdf)

--

Stevie Benton
Communications Organiser

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*