Hi all,

In the second round of Project Grants, 21 eligible proposals were submitted
for review. The committee recommended 12 projects for a total of $194,490
in funding. WMF has now approved all 12 grants. Here’s what we’re funding.
[1]

   -

   Kiwix/Offline medical

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Stephane/Kiwix/Offline_medical>

Wikimed is a medical encyclopedia app that runs on the offline platform
Kiwix <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kiwix_-_Wikipedia_Offline>. It
serves as a powerful resource for its users, who are predominantly based in
areas of the Global South with limited connectivity. This project will
update the existing Kiwix code to improve access and content quality,
benefitting both Wikimed and other Wikimedia projects supported by Kiwix.
[2][3]

   -

   Video templates
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Ainali/Video_templates>Video
   is used by Wikimedians for many reasons, like sharing on social media,
   providing trainings, reporting on successes and more. This project will
   produce templates to enable volunteers to more easily develop
   professional-level videos compatible with our visual identity guidelines
   <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Visual_identity_guidelines>. The
   templates will be developed for open source software. [4][5]

   -

   GLAMpipe
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/GLAMpipe>GLAMpipe is an
   open source web application that allows GLAM institutions to upload and
   process more complex data sets.  Initially developed in 2016 with support
   from the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture, the grant will fund the
   next phase of improvements, focused on adoption by key GLAM-Wiki
   contributors, and extension of the tool to bring data to Wikidata. [6]

   -

   Fountain

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/%D0%9B%D0%B5_%D0%9B%D0%BE%D0%B9/Fountain>

Running wiki contests involves extensive preparation for organizers and
volunteers, from devising requirements and guidelines, to scoring edits and
determining winning participants. Fountain is a tool that creates and
organizes online contests, and includes the ability to review edited
quality articles. It has already been used on Russian Wikipedia, and was
used by organizers of Asian Wikipedia Month
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/fountain/editathons/asian-month-2016-en> in
November 2016!  This grant will expand the tool for multiple-language and
multi-project environments. [7][8]

Offline outreach: seven projects funded

   -

   Offline Wikipedia outreach in Mongolia

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Offline_Wikipedia_outreach_in_Mongolia>Progress
   Gateway, an NGO that specializes in building better education in Mongolia,
   will lead a pilot project that will integrate offline Wikipedia into
   classroom curriculum in both urban and rural areas. The project aims to
   build skills in utilizing English Wikipedia, and provide an introduction to
   editing in Mongolian Wikipedia. [9]

   -

   Let’s fill the gender gap through community building

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Let%27s_fill_the_gender_gap_through_community_building>This
   project seeks to build on the success of the Let’s fill the gender gap
   workshops

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/User:Nattes_%C3%A0_chat/Let%27s_fill_the_gender_gap_Workshops>
   for another year.  Focused on building motivation among new female
   volunteers in the Geneva region, regular meetings will be hosted to
   build personal relationships among participants and a sense of belonging to
   the Wikimedia community as a whole. [10] [11]

   -

   Joburgpedia 2016

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/WM_ZA/Joburgpedia_Digitization_2016>

Wikimedia South Africa, in partnership with South African History Archives,
will be engaging participants in edit-a-thons and in a digitization
initiative as part of Johannesburg-based JoburgpediA
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/JoburgpediA>.  Notably, this
project will include documentation of the work of photojournalist and
activist Gille De Vlieg, who photographed life in South Africa’s townships
and shanty towns during the Apartheid era. [12][13]

   -

   Music in Canada @ 150: A Wikipedia and Wikidata Project

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Music_in_Canada_@_150:_A_Wikipedia_and_Wikidata_Project>This
   project aims to fill a gap in content about Canadian music. Through a
   collaboration between music communities, librarians and archivists across
   the country, a series of offline events will strategically encourage new
   contributions to both Wikipedia and Wikidata. [14]

   -

   Bashkortostan User Group Event Planning for Q1 2017

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/UG_BAK/Event_Planning_for_Q1_2017>Through
   this multi-part project, Bashkortostan Wikimedians will run contests,
   conduct trainings and offer social meet-up opportunities to build the
   volunteer community contributing to Bashkir language Wikimedia projects.
   [15]

   -

   Initialization project for Iraq Wikimedians User Group

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Initialization_project_for_Iraq_user_group>The
   Iraqi User Group will run a multi-part project focused on:  building the
   user group, conducting trainings and edit-a-thons, hosting photo trips,
   coordinating Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Monuments campaigns and
   launching their first version of the Wikipedia Education Program. [16]

   -

   Wikimedia Belgium Public facing activities 2017

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/WM_BE/Public_facing_activities_2017>Two
   years after its founding, Wikimedia Belgium seeks to further build its
   capacity by developing GLAM partnerships, establishing education programs
   and expanding its volunteer community through offline events. [17]

Online outreach: one project funded

   -

   Whose Knowledge?
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Whose_Knowledge%3F>
   This project seeks to build a base for a global campaign to create,
   collect and curate knowledge from and with marginalised communities. The
   grantees will pilot their model with two communities: the Dalit
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit> community in India and its
   diaspora in the US, and women’s human rights defenders
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_activists> in the global
   South. [18]

You can read more about this round on the Wikimedia Foundation blog
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/12/16/twelve-project-grants/> [19]

The next open call for 2017 Round 1 of Project Grants
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project> will begin February 13,
2017 and end  March 14, 2017.  Note that this is a change from the
previously posted schedule, reflecting a shift from quarterly to biannual
funding rounds.  After piloting our new programs for the last six months,
we determined that we are not adequately staffed to conduct four rounds per
year and still maintain the level of support we want to offer our
grantees.  Consequently, we are scaling back to make sure we offer quality
support all the way through the life of our grants.  Assessment of the
design of all our new grants programs will be ongoing as we seek to meet
the needs of the community and align with Foundation’s resources and
capacity. We will be doing a community survey in early 2017 to understand
how the changes have impacted our grantees. [20]

In the month leading up to the next Project Grants open call, an Inspire
Campaign <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Inspire> will be
conducted to invite community ideas on engaging and developing partnerships
with outside knowledge networks – such as experts, libraries, and cultural
institutions – to improve the quality of content in our projects.  These
ideas may be developed into Rapid or Project grants in cases where funding
is needed. [21]

Congratulations to the successful grantees!

   1.

   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Browse_applications>
   2.

   <