Hello everyone,

The Wikimedia Foundation has submitted our annual Form 990 to the US
Internal Revenue Service
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Revenue_Service> (IRS) and posted
on-wiki[1]. The Form 990 is the annual financial reporting, known as an
“information return,” which the federal government  requires nonprofit
organizations in the United States to file.

In addition to posting the Form 990 on-wiki, we have also posted an
accompanying page with answers to frequently asked questions related to the
form and information we reported.[2]

Here are a few key highlights on this year’s Form 990:

-          The Wikimedia Foundation's total revenue in our  fiscal year
2017-2018 was US $101,575,555. Our total expenses during  this period were
US $78,731,219 and our total net assets at the end of the fiscal year were
US $134,949,570.

-          During fiscal year 2017-2018, we experienced growth in our
fundraising revenue and success that was attributed to our fundraising
campaigns.

-          We continue to invest in programmatic activities and evaluate to
ensure that our allocation percentage is at or above the standard benchmark
of 65%. During the fiscal year 2016-2017, we invested 74% in programmatic
activities, 14% in Management & General activities, and 12% in fundraising
activities.

-          Our expenses increased due to the addition of 26 new staff and
contractors which was reflective of the growth outlined in the Annual Plan
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2017-2018/Final>
.

-          Our Governance, Management, and Disclosure practices are
consistent with best practices for non-profit charitable organizations and
meet the IRS requirements as applicable.

Through reports and discussions like these, the Wikimedia Foundation will
continue to strive to provide a responsible level of transparency and
accountability. I imagine there are other questions, and I invite you to
review the on-wiki FAQ[2], or email me if your question is not answered
there.

Thank you to the Foundation's Audit Committee for their oversight and our
Staff for their work in developing this year's Form 990 and related
communications for filing and public disclosure.

Saludos,

Jaime

[1] Link to PDF
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/3/31/Wikimedia_Foundation_FY2017-2018_Form_990.pdf>

[2] Form 990 FAQ
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_reports/Financial/Audits/2017-2018_-_frequently_asked_questions>

Jaime Villagomez

Chief Financial Officer

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*