> > Update: I think all images taken in reserves need to be deleted from
> Commons.

No, this is excessive - we need to consider whether the particular image in
question was taken in a prohibited area.

> Can the Commonwealth actually meaningfully claim copyright on these
> images? If so, can they enforce this effectively anywhere outside
> Australia?

This has nothing to do with copyright. The copyright still vests in the
person who took the photo. This regulation merely imposes restrictions on
what you can do with your image.

> What is the actual danger to third-party reusers?

Regulation 12.38 says "A person" cannot use it for commercial purposes - so
this appears like it applies to anyone, even third party re-users. However,
this restriction, I think, would only apply to Australian persons.

----

Enoch