Pharos,

As I have said to you when you wrote to me privately; said again when you
cc'd others, and will say again now on-list:
a) The intended project with the Powerhouse Museum will be at approximately
the same time as the "loves art" project;
b) It encompasses and goes far beyond  the scope of the "loves art" project
c) It gains access to professional photography from their side (not just
ourselves)
d) It is supported by many at the museum but still requires official
approval, therefore active discussion and explanation of what WM-Au is all
about is ongoing.

As such, we are attempting to participate in "loves art" through the
powerhouse in all but name. The aim of both projects is to improve the
content on Wikimedia projects and we are all working towards that end in our
own ways.

-Liam, user:witty lama

On 1/5/09, Pharos <pharosofalexand...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> It has come to my attention that Liam and you folks have decided not
> to pursue this project.
>
> I think this would be a mistake.
>
> So, I thought I would write you folks and everyone at Wikimedia AU
> this e-mail so we can start a broader conversation.
>
> I understand you folks were interested in doing another project with
> Powerhouse, which is great, but I don't see why that would preclude
> joining us in this project as well.
>
> The important thing to understand is that this is a "pre-wrapped"
> project, where the model has already been developed and accepted by
> several different museums around the world, and getting it going in
> Sydney would require minimal work on your part.  Since this is a
> project that has some establishment cred with the other museums, it
> could even be a great way to get your foot in the door for future, and
> hopefully more ambitious, activities.
>
> I know Liam expressed concern about having to schedule something for a
> particular day.  It should be clear that this event is not on one day;
> it's run during the whole month of February, but the museums can
> choose to have a "public event" on any particular day they might like.
>
> You should know that we currently have four museums that are part of
> this project, in New York City, London, Los Angeles and Indianapolis,
> and we're working on Wikimedian teams in each.  On the chapters front,
> in addition to Wikimedia New York City (which if we're lucky might
> become official by event time), we're also working closely with
> Wikimedia UK, and their Secretary Andrew Turvey.  Jay Walsh has
> commented to me that this is really the first inter-chapter project of
> this type, and I hope that Wikimedia AU can reconsider and join our
> little effort.
>
> As I understand it, they're maybe on the fence now at Powerhouse with
> WLA, and a simple word from you folks could push them into positive
> territory.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,
>
> Pharos
>

> 2008/11/9 Liam Wyatt <liamwy...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Regarding powerhouse museum:
> > I think they are the best place to start if we try and do this kind of
> thing
> > (which I think would be great) because the PHM "gets" web 2.0 - they
> don't
> > necessarily succeed at it (vis - their attempt at QR codes described
> > here:
> http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog/index.php/2008/10/23/some-qr-code-clarifications/
> > ) but they are involved more than any other institution in australia that
> > know of. Thank their web services manager Seb Chan for that - which is
> why I
> > would really like him to come to Wiki-Wednesday. He has been involved
> > peripherally with the Dictionary of Sydney too which is where I first met
> > him.
> [...]

Email - liamwy...@gmail.com
Phone - +61 (0)434 056 914
Skype - Wittylama