Dear All,

Today user:PrivateMusings and myself had a meeting with Seb Chan of the
[[Powerhouse Museum]] here in Sydney.
As a result of this meeting I can confirm that they are inviting us to take
part in the first of what I hope will be a series of events across Sydney,
Australia and the World - the "Backstage Pass" tour. This idea is being
piloted by Sydney Wikipedians and hopefully will extend as far as other
local groups of Wikipedians worldwide - wherever there are things to see,
there is a backstage pass tour to be had...

The idea is simple:
An institution/company/group gives a group of local Wiki-folk a special,
free, tour of their facility/building/collection/etc. In reciprocation, we
sit down with the people who gave the tour and, with their input, improve
Wikipedia/Commons content about things relevant to what was seen on the
tour.

This is "reciprocal outreach" - the institution can share with local people
what they know/have whilst the Wikimedians can use their expertise to
facilitate the knowledge reaching a global audience. At the same time it
helps increase awareness of what Wikipedia *is*, and how to help out.

I've placed the preliminary information about the plan so far for the pilot
event on the Wikimedia-Australia Wiki. Please have a look and add comments
if you'd like more details about certain aspects:
http://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Backstage_pass

The 2 principal outstanding issues are:
1) The timing. The Powerhouse would prefer a weekday, so in order to get the
most possible availabilities I propose Friday as the weekday most people can
be free. The preference is for early February. Please comment on the wiki
page about this.
2) The attendance. They can only take 20 people. As there needs to be 1
curator per 10 people in the non-public areas and they will be providing 2
curators = max.20 people. I suggest that paid-up members of WM-AU be given
preference by way of encouraging membership. But nevertheless, it would be
strongly advisable if we headhunt good content writers (rather than just
"gnomes" like myself) to come along even if they're not WM-AU members (yet).

There's also a little "One More Thing" on the wiki page as well... basically
- if this goes well there are many more possible activities that Powerhouse
is interested in throwing our way. Potentially including event tickets. :-)

So - TA DA!

- Liam

--
Email - liamwy...@gmail.com