On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Craig Franklin <cr...@halo-17.net> wrote:

> You mean like the Australian Newspapers Digitisation Project, which was the
> subject of a very interesting presentation at GLAM-WIKI?
>
> http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home
>
> It's not strictly Wiki-like, but it shares many characteristics of our
> model
> and promises to be a great resource down the track.  I've not had a great
> look at the editing module itself, but changes/corrections seem to be
> "live"
> onto the site.  The only thing that's not clear is the licence, while the
> papers themselves are pretty much all public domain, I can't see anything
> confirm with certainty that the digitized text has been released as such.

Yes, this licensing ambiguity is intentional as a result of internal
wranglings at the National Library. It's a work in progress...

What I thought that Stephen was referring more to was something akin to a
"Wikipedia loves art" but instead of taking pictures of artwork in
galleries, taking pictures of books in libraries (hence the WikiSource
reference) and objects/paraphernalia in Archive collections.

This is indeed a possibility but I think we are a couple of years away, just
yet, from being allowed into archives and libraries to do our own
digitisation. There are currently a lot of policy discussions going on in
these institutions about "digital access" and who is allowed to do what with
their stuff online. The traditional policies of "you have to ask permission
to use our content" works very well when you are thinking about physical
objects and making copies/studying them but it does not translate directly
to the online environment. Furthermore, there is the legitimate concern that
once their content "gets out" that it won't be respected or would lose its
attribution and curation/historical interpretation information. This is
quite apart from copyright concerns and has more to do with the curator's
desire to see their collection's "meaning" respected.

As such, and given the cultural sector is only just beginning to see
free-culture folks as partners (rather than as cultural pirates and vandals)
I don't think we're ready to be able to make big projects of the type
described - just yet at least. What I would advocate is that we try to
organise meetings with the local WIkimedians and the curators/staff of
specific institutions just to chat about what they hope to achieve together.
This could take the form of a lunch meeting or the form of a "backstage
pass" tour or traditional Wiki-meetup. Once the relationship has been
established - THEN - start talking about projects that could be undertaken.

That's my 2cents at least :-)
-Liam [[witty lama]]

> Cheers,
> Craig