Yes, this newspaper article (it was also in the Sydney Morning Herald and
probably other Fairfax outlets) is actually in response to this draft
report:
http://gov2.net.au/blog/2009/12/07/draftreport/
Several of the "friends of the family" of Wikimedia Australia are on the
"government 2.0 taskforce" and their draft recommendations are very positive
from the Free-culture point of view. For example, it advocates that all
Public Sector Information (PSI) should be by default
CreativeCommons-Attribution.

Another thing that is of interest (and something that Brianna has already
blogged about
here<http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/244/information-philanthropy>)
is a section about "information philanthropy". It says that providers of
such information (and I would count the Wikimedia community as such a
service) should be given greater attention in the digital information
economy and there should be a category in the charity legislation to account
for these kinds of organisations. That recommendation does bode well for
Wikimedia Australia.

-Liam [[witty lama]]

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata