On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:45:40 +1100
Virtual Steve <virtual-st...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> As the new treasurer of the Wiki-Aus I have been reading this
> discussion with some interest and I now make the following comment.

Congrats on your election then!

> I am in support of Sarah's continual point that only financial
> members should be able to edit the official wiki for many reasons,
> however the below snippet from Andrew's comment is particularly
> useful and valid. Quite frankly folks the committee members of this
> chapter already have absolutely far too many things to read - to the
> extent that there is a very great chance that we will come awash with
> the excess of that information (and indeed there are clear instances
> where we have already).

I've moved the comment for context.

> > *Andrew comment sent Saturday, 12 December 2009 9:38 AM
> > Expecting already busy committee members (and I'm not even
> > speaking for myself here) to monitor the wiki in such circumstances
> > is an imposition on them and a completely unnecessary one - what do
> > we stand to benefit from it, as against the costs?

So _don't_ make this the committees job!

> Adding to that situation with open editing of the official wiki is
> neither practical nor reflective of real world boards, and quite
> frankly we are a real world board with real world responsibilities as
> a part of corporate governance requirements. In a nutshell we are

Which is nice, but not relevant to the website structure.

> responsible in the main to the financial members of this chapter and
> it is only their material that should take any more of our time or
> effort at the the official chapter pages.

How much extra effort will be required to police the site if it uses
confirmed logins instead of ip based editing?

> There are plenty of ways to draw our attention to issues of concern
> at other open wikis and so I for one do not support open editing in
> any form.

Getting your attention may not be the only reason to edit the site ...
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au