On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Peter Musings <thepmacco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a pre-proposal proposal for a modest change to the WMAU wiki - I'd
> like to suggest a trial of completely open registrations

I think this would lead to tons of spam and a few confused users.

There have only been 18 accounts made over the last year and few of
those people have edited. You can see the log of created accounts
here:
http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Special:Log/newusers

There have been that many spam requests in just the past 2 months. I
expect that if registration were open we would get even more spam
accounts than this. (Because more bots are programmed to make accounts
than request accounts and because they detect other spam on the wiki
and note this one as a place you can spam.)

If people request an account, we can see if they meant to make an
account on Wikipedia instead and redirect them there. They then have a
contact email address if they need help, whereas if they made their
own account here they'd likely be confused why their new page got
deleted or why they're still not able to log in to Wikipedia.

Accounts need to be flagged on the wiki as financial or not, so people
going through the request process is useful in determining whether
they are already members.

Angela