Hi Kerry, this is the sort of thing I used to think would be of benefit to
organisations.. like La Trobe University. As I play the inside agent,
trying to generate interest in engaging the Wikimedia projects, to be able
to follow up with somewhat on-call one to one or one to few, semi
spontaneous help and support, would be excellent. I'm sure it would be
rarely used - xenophobia and all, but the offer itself is massive, when
compared to the costly and inflexible support people get for centrally
supported systems.

Naturally, I'd put my name into the ring for a Melbourne/Yarra Ranges
network of support people, and I suppose nothing need to change if that
network was simply listed on say, a WMAu page, and feedback and references
were collected on their profile, so people could look through and select
who to contact for possible support...

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Kerry Raymond <kerry.raym...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Although I know many of our WMAU members are experienced Wikipedia
> editors, I am aware that we do have some members who are not and would
> welcome some opportunity to learn more about it. ****
>
> ** **
>
> We aren’t in a position to run large group formal training in most cities
> (for a variety of reasons) but it’s possible to do one-on-one informal
> training so long as there is a volunteer available in your area.****
>
> ** **
>
> So, if you are someone who would like to get some one-on-one training,
> please contact me and let me know what area you are in. I will then call
> for volunteers for that area to assist and, if successful, put you in touch
> to make a mutually convenient arrangement to get together.****
>
> ** **
>
> One comment. Obviously it’s up to the individuals to make whatever
> arrangements they are comfortable with, but I must point out that there are
> risks associated with meeting with a stranger in a private setting (this is
> always a consideration when conducting interviews in research projects). It
> might be preferable to meet in a library or other public place in the first
> instance.****
>
> ** **
>
> Kerry****
>
> ** **