And it’s not just the National Library. The State Libraries and many council
libraries offer similar access. For example, here in sunny Brisbane, I can
access:

State Library of Queensland http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/search/eresources

Brisbane City Council
https://elibcat.library.brisbane.qld.gov.au/uhtbin/cgisirsi/TfSYpYtO53/ZZELI
BCAT/0/1/1439/X/BLASTOFF

While many of these resources can be accessed from your home (usually
involving some kind of library-card login process), some resources are
restricted to the library’s computers (that is, you have to be on-site).
Such restrictions are usually imposed by the resource provider rather than
by the libraries (although some libraries have “number of people through the
door” as their major KPI and so are motivated to not facilitate online
access).

However, despite being well aware of this cornucopia of resources, I find I
rarely access them, because it’s enormously tedious connecting to each of
these “deep web” resources in turn and searching it (usually in a
bewildering variety of interfaces, each with their own remarkable set of
quirks). I am afraid that I have been seduced by Google and expect a single
interface that searches “everything” while being somewhat forgiving of my
spelling errors and typos. Apart from Google, for my WP editing, I tend to
stick to a relatively small set of “deep web” resources, with which I am
very familiar and for which I know I have a high probability of finding
something useful.

Kerry

  _____