The fieldpapers.org service is pretty great: people can contribe to OSM with only a printer and digital camera. It's a matter of printing multipage maps of whatever area at whatever scale, then walking around and drawing on them by hand to add whatever features (roads, buildings, vegetation, etc.), then photographing each page and uploading the photos.

Then either the same contributors, or anyone else in the world, can go through and make the actual updates to the map.

This is one for Toodyay for example:
http://fieldpapers.org/atlas.php?id=zh833ngm#15/-31.5507/116.4698
(Click the 'download PDF' to view the actual atlas).

I've done a fair bit of OSM work from these sorts of things, and they work really well. Nice and low-tech!

- Sam.

P.S. There's also OpenLinkMap that displays anything taggged with Wikipedia articles and a bunch of other stuff:
http://www.openlinkmap.org/?zoom=16&lat=-31.55181&lon=116.46856&layers=BFTTTTT
Sort of the reverse of that thing that displays all geocoded articles on a map (the name of which I can not now remember).