Meninas? :)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Everton Zanella Alvarenga <t...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Subject: Women's day and Wikipedia
To: Increasing female participation in Wikimedia projects
<gender...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi all,

today I just remembered that the International Women's day is arriving
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women's_Day>. I would like
to know if people in this group is thinking about something to do on 8
March. I just compared the English article in Wikipedia with the
Portuguese version
<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dia_Internacional_da_Mulher> and it
seems there is a lot to be improved in the later, although I am sure a
lot in the first as well.

I remember the first time I saw how important is this day was through
a Russian friend who taught how important is this day for the Russian
woman - at least that is my impression when I compare to my society,
although I know people here who value this day a lot, like dad who
always give something to mom. :)

Sorry if I missed some e-mail, but is there something planned? (just
saw the e-mail bellow) Maybe an international edithaton about some
women on Wikipedia? Or improve the Wikipedia article about this day
and try to achieve a better level on the 10 most read languages of
Wikipedia? Just some ideas, I hope more can appear.

Tom

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM, patricia morales
<mariadelcarmenpatri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>  We are pleased to invite you to participate in Feminae (“women” in Latin), a
> collective and interdisciplinary work, which aims to bring together an
> anthology of artistic and intellectual contributions as a tribute to women’s
> wisdom across cultures and history.
>
> 1. How to participate?
> A.       Choose an inspiring quote, artwork or idea of a female author
> (original language or translation; giving the source, when possible).
> B.      Indicate the name of the selected author.
> C.      Write your own reflections on your choice in English, Dutch, French,
> Spanish, German
> D.      Indicate your name, country, professional background.
>
> An example for the contribution (The final size is horizontal A4 paper/format
> for online media) :
>
> A.      SELECTED QUOTE
> artwork, idea, proposal, or statement
> (original texts and/or translation, source)
>
> "I am among those who think that science has great beauty"
>  (In Madame Curie: A Biography (1937)
>
> (Pictures, drawing, collage can be included)
> B.      YOUR PERSONAL CONTRIBUTION
> Why did you choose  that quote/work?
> Your motivation
>
> / the work and personality of Marie Curie symbolize the irrefutable and
> magnificent fusion of women and science.../
>
> (Pictures, drawing, collage can be included)
> C.      DATA OF THE FEMALE AUTHOR
> data of the chosen author / brief information
>
> Example:
> Marie Curie, Polish scientist
> Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1903 and 1911, etc.
> D.      YOUR DATA (female/male)
> Your name, country, profession, background
>
> Example:
> Mafalda
> Pedagogue, Argentina
>
> 2. Which format to use? How and when to send it?
> Please, submit your contribution no longer than 300 words before the 4th of
> March 2013:
> By email to patricia.mora...@arts.kuleuven.be
> - a text in Word or WP format or
> - an attached document in Word, WP, PDF or JPG following the form of an
> horizontal A4 paper
> or
> By mail to: Faculty of Arts, KULeuven, Blijde Inkomstraat 21, PO Box 3312,
> 3000 Leuven, Belgium
> - Your printed contribution (following the form of an horizontal A4 paper or
> equivalent)
>
> 3. When and where is Feminae exhibited and who receives your contribution?
>
> -A digital / online exhibition will take place on March 8 at the University
> of Leuven, Faculty of Arts.
> -Feminae will be available online to the public and the media on youtube
> (film/power points).
> -A copy of the book Feminae will be given to: UN Women, UNESCO and the
> University of Leuven.
>
> Note: Feminae can be freely used and reproduced, quoting respectively the
> contributor, who retains her/his copyrights. Your participation implies the
> acceptance of that donation to the public domain.

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing."