Pessoal, acho que pode interessá-los. Principalmente o Rodrigo, Celio e
Nevio, que mais trabalharam com projetos Wikimedia nas escolas. Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Iolanda Pensa*
Date: Monday, March 25, 2013
Subject: [Wikimedia Kenya] project proposal - Wikipedia Primary School
To: "The discussion list for the Wikimedia Kenya chapter." <
wikimedi...@lists.wikimedia.org>

dear Wikipedians in Kenya,
with Tobias Schönwetter and Kelsey Wiens from the University of Cape Town
and CC Africa, Isaac Rutenberg from the Strathmore University Centre for IP
and IT Law, and another partner from Germany we are currently identifying,
we are planning to apply for a project which it would great to link with
you.

The project is called Wikipedia Primary School and it aims at providing on
Wikipedia the information necessary to complete the cycle of primary
education in the languages used by the different education systems.
Our idea is to focus on Kenya and South Africa with the ERAfrica New Ideas
programme (2014-2016). you find below an overall description of the project.

The project actually comes from your experience of distributing offline
Wikipedia in Kenya and it would be great if some of you would like to
contribute to it.
Also the Africa Centre is working to organize trainings and activities for
wikipedians in residence in Kenya.

We don't need an official letter, but simply a letter for the people
interested in the project. you can also contact me directly or you can
maybe discuss among you if the project is relevant and write together a
letter with the names of the people who would like to participate. for the
moment i will keep you updated on the project development and invite you to
join the activities or to apply for open positions. I think it would be
also very precious to document your experience with offline Wikipedia,
maybe with some interviews. this could also be a specific activity directed
by your group. Maybe also the link with the Strathmore University Centre
for IP and IT Law can be useful for further initiatives linked to GLAMs. I
also just wrote to OER Africa - Open Educational Resources Africa which is
based in Nairobi.

what do think? would it be possible to collaborate on this project?
please consider that i would be more than pleased to change the project
also according to your ideas and proposals.
looking forward to hear your impressions and my very best regards
iolanda/iopensa

--
Iolanda Pensa - via Rabolini, 10 - 20125 Milano - Italia. Tel. +39 335 655
36 33, i...@pensa.it <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'i...@pensa.it');> -

--------------------------------------
*Wikipedia **Primary School*

*Providing on Wikipedia the information necessary to complete the cycle of
primary education in the languages used by the different education systems.*

A project allowing students, families and teachers to find on Wikipedia the
documentation necessary to obtain the primary school qualification in their
country, in their language.

Wikipedia is meant to be an educational tool and it is currently available
online, via mobile phones and offline. Experiences have shown that, once
accessible, Wikipedia does not provide information that responds directly
to curriculum-based questions. The project relies on Wikipedia as an
existing and growing resource, it solves the need for an encyclopaedia
capable of responding to curriculum-based questions, and it fosters
Wikipedia content, quality and outreach.

More specifically the project aims at:

   1. Bridging Wikipedia and primary education. This objective implies to
   move the Wikipedia community towards a focus on primary education, and at
   the same time to strengthen the capacity of the education ecosystem to
   contribute to Wikipedia, and in general to open collaborative knowledge.
   2. Enriching Wikipedia with new content relevant to primary education.
   This objective implies an assessment of the articles produced.
   3. Fostering the development of translations and new content in
   different Wikipedia linguistic editions. This objective implies the release
   of existing educational resources (OER in cc by or cc by-sa), the
   production of datasets and the involvement of the Wikimedia movement.
   4. Verifying and evaluating the use of Wikipedia as a source of
   information for primary education. This objective implies the involvement
   of stakeholders and data analysis.

*Wikipedia Primary School* contributes to universal primary education and
to the Millennium Development Goals (MDG2: Achieve Universal Primary
Education). Even if it is scalable and international, the project is
conceived primarily to address African countries and languages.

Wikipedia is a very peculiar encyclopaedia. It is a living organism made of
a wide community with specific policies, clusters and dynamics.
Contributing to Wikipedia means to play a fair game, and to respect the way
Wikipedia works, its rules and community. To strengthen the capacity of
Wikipedia to respond directly to curriculum-based questions, the project
does not simply transfer content from national schoolbooks into Wikipedia.
The methodology is centred around research and fieldwork activities.

Research activities focus on monitoring Wikipedia in different linguistic
editions; understanding the different national education systems and
identifying which are the content capable of responding to curriculum-based
questions; involving a scientific committee in contributing to the project;
establishing and managing a Wikipedia Scientific Journal, a peer-reviewed
scientific publication in Creative Commons attributions share-alike
license, designed to involve scholars and to assess Wikipedia articles, in
collaboration with other scientific journals and by fostering synergies
between scientific knowledge and Wikipedia and open access; producing
datasets to generate stub articles on Wikipedia in all linguistic editions;
uploading content, in particular OER Open Educational Resources already
available and images and texts provided with an open license compatible
with Wikipedia; supporting territorial development with tutors and with
upload capacities (in particular for countries with low connectivity);
monitoring and evaluating the project.

Fieldwork activities focus on testing and enhancing the use of Wikipedia in
primary school and it is developed in collaboration with the stakeholders
already working in education. They provide training, in particular training
for Wikipedians in residence; they organise Wikipedia events, in particular
Wiki Loves Monuments; they allow networking with institutions and
governments to facilitate the release of content with open licenses; they
tutor institutions and people; they develop pilot projects in schools and
in collaboration with NGOs working in education; they establish hotspots
where needed; and they facilitate the distribution of Wikipedia offline in
countries where relevant.

*What we do not do*

*Wikipedia Primary School* is a scalable and international project with a
specific goal: it responds to a real need, it relies on existing networks
and resources, and it is structured to allow people and institutions to
contribute to it. The very nature of the project is meant to produce a
broad impact. If the project *Wikipedia Primary School* is successful, it
can be developed in the future by producing content for other cycle of
education.

   1. We do not break Wikipedia rules. The project respects Wikipedia
   pillars and the opinions of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia communities.
   2. We do not believe the project substitutes in any way the essential
   role of people and institutions working in education. We want to contribute
   in a specific way to the work many people and institutions are already
   implementing and we believe only a collaborative approach can really allow
   the project to be effective and relevant.
   3. We do not produce a selection of Wikipedia articles. We want people
   to access and benefit from the whole Wikipedia.
   4. We do not address students, teachers and families only. Contributing
   to Wikipedia is meant to provide better knowledge for everyone everywhere.
   5. We do not work for governments and ministries of education. The
   project is meant to be independent. It selects articles to be based on
   national educational systems, but it does not implement on Wikipedia
   governments’ strategies or requests.
   6. We do not provide offline access to Wikipedia over online access. We
   consider online access to Wikipedia a priority and the best way to access
   Wikipedia, because it allows to contribute to it.
   7. We do not consider Wikipedia a schoolbook. Wikipedia is not a
   schoolbook and it can not substitute teachers and educators and other
   appropriate educational resources.
   8. We do not simplify Wikipedia articles. Wikipedia is an encyclopaedia
   and it requires a certain level of literacy in order to access it. We do
   not want to adapt Wikipedia to primary school level; we want to include
   topics and content relevant for primary education.
   9. We do not make content available for Wikipedia only. Using Creative
   Commons as part of the project methodology allows contents to be available
   beyond Wikipedia.
   10. We do not promote Wikipedia as a stable and passive resource. We
   consider essential that people who use Wikipedia understand what Wikipedia
   is. To understand it, the only appropriate way is to contribute to it and
   being part of it.
   11. We do not provide Wikipedia as it is. The project aims at fostering
   a joint effort to improve Wikipedia and to assess its quality.
   12. We do not centralise all the activities. The project can only reach
   its goal and produce high quality content and impact, if people and
   institutions can adapt them to their context, vision and work.

*What practically we want to do*
1) Involving governments in releasing dataset about public administrations
(to contribute to Wikidata and produce stub articles; at the moment only
Botswana is fully documented)
2) Asking OER open educational resources to be released in cc by or cc
by-sa (and not cc by-sa-nc-nd).
3) Asking other institutions working in education to contribute to OER.
4) Assessing Wikipedia articles by creating a Wikipedia Scientific Journal.
the idea is to assess wikipedia articles with the involvement of academic
peer-revierwes. this is specifically necessary for content related to
Africa because it needs to acknowledge the last 60 years of postcolonial
studies (which at the moment they are not well represented on
Wikipedia). the Wikipedia Scientific Journal is established in partnerships
with existing scientific journals; the peer-reviewers of those scientific
journals review the articles (existing ones and new ones) and we can make
calls for papers. those call for papers can address existing Wikipedia
authors but also scholars (who can add those publications to their cv since
they ae peer-reviewed and made in collaborations with scientific journals).
it is not a direct way of working on Wikipedia but i think it is the most
relevant on the long run.
Once articles are peer-reviewed they can be translated and they can be
rewritten in specific ways. At the same time also articles from Vikidia can
be a source.
5) Establishing a scientific committee who defines which articles
contribute to primary education and they overview and evaluate the project.
the scientific committee is also a communication tool which makes sure
stakeholders are involved.
6) Fostering communication and community building among the different
Wikipedia/Wikimedia clusters (project pages on Wikipedia, different
projects, different wikipedia linguistic editions, wikimedia chapters,
project such as wiki loves monuments which helps to understand what
wikipedia is and to start contributing)
7) Monitoring what happens with data analysis.

The project Wikipedia Primary School and all its documentation is under
Creative Commons attribution share alike license. Iolanda Pensa drafted the
project in 2012.

At the moment WikiAfrica
Cameroon<http://www.orange.com/en/news/2012/novembre/WikiAfrica-sharing-knowledge-in-Africa-with-Wikipedia-and-Orange>
promoted
by doual'art <http://www.doualart.org/> with the support of Orange
Foundation <http://www.fondationorange.com/?lang=en> is implementing a
pilot project around Wikipedia and primary school (2012-2013).The
WikiAfrica Primary School Feasibility Study has been developed in 2012 with
the support of volunteers and lettera27
Foundation<http://www.lettera27.org/> to
evaluate the possible synergies between Wikipedia and primary school with a
focus on the linguistic editions of Wikipedia and their use in primary
education in Africa, current Wikimedia projects, OER-Open Educational
Resources <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Open_educational_resources> and
case studies on the primary schools systems and current relevant projects
in the field of education in
Italy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Education_in_Italy>
, Cameroon <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Education_in_Cameroon> and South
Africa <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Education_in_South_Africa>. The
Africa Centre based in Cape Town is currently developing trainings in
Africa for Wikipedians in residence. SUPSI University of Applied Sciences
and Arts of Southern Switzerland and University of Cape Town, in
collaboration with Wikimedia Switzerland and the Africa Centre based in
Cape Town have applied in March 2013 for a Swiss South African research
project related to Wikipedia Primary School within the SSAJRP programme.

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful