From: Angela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:07
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Regarding the one million dollar usability
grant and already extant but unused extensions
To: Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Thomas Dalton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2008/12/7 Gerard Meijssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Hoi,
>> When so many people are turned off by syntax of any kind, it makes sense to
>> prevent them to see such syntax. It should be there however for those who do
>> not consider it a turn off.
>
> Yeah, that's where WYSIWYG gets tricky - the complicated bits can only
> really be done in code, so what do you do when someone using the
> WYSISYG interface tries to edit a page which includes complicated
> bits? I'm sure it can be done, but not easily.

Templates and complicated parts can easily be hidden. See
<http://robotech.wikia.com/index.php?title=Sandbox&action=edit> for
example to see what happens to the {{sandbox}} template. Wikia has
been working on WYSIWYG for a long time now, and I hope the code that
is available at
http://trac.wikia-code.com/browser/wikia/branches/wysiwyg will be
useful to Wikimedia in improving usability.

Angela