That, and it's all the most ironic to read it in a mainstream
newspaper: the mainstream press *does* aim at amassing wealth, and
bringing news to their readership is a mean rather than an end.

The US media gave a stricking example during the build-up towards the
invasion of Iraq, by completely departing the realm of reality without
being actually threatened or censored. Less egregious but more
consistant examples show up everytime a mainstream medium interviews a
mediatic but incompetent figure rather than an actual expert, simply
because journalists know the fake "experts"; or when journalists make
claims to a special status akin to that of policemen or first
rescuers, while they are merely employees of for-profit companies who
bring no benefits in disaster areas. Those who can read French might
be interested in this rare example of introspection:
http://www.lecourrier.ch/index.php?name=NewsPaper&file=article&sid=446584

In short, the media are overly and occasially unjustly prompt to
accuse others of a shortcoming of which they are the first and
foremost culprits.
  -- Rama