Hi Bruno,

that's excellent work, I am very happy to see that happening in Switzerland.

The idea to use digital cameras for digitalising 2d material is actually
used by Google as well. I was looking for that article, but couldn't
find it right now. But the "scanner" was basically built manually from
cheap components and used open source software. The concept was like this:
http://www.diybookscanner.org/

/Manuel

Am 03.12.2010 09:52, schrieb bruno jehle:

>     Dear members of Wikimedia,
>

>     thanks to Wolf for that great project opening.
>

>     As some of you know, I have many years experience in imaging,
>
>     internet and prepress. I give training and work for archives and
>
>     international companies and since 12 years we are in the field of
>
>     media asset management.
>
>     This summer, the State Archive of Aargau asked me, if I could
>
>     find a solution for a device in the library, so that guests can
>     digitalize
>
>     archive material on their own, without assistance and without
>
>     disturbing other readers at the place.
>

>     Usually such systems are costly and complex
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Bookscanner&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>.
>

>     This was interesting to me, as I am a founding member of "digitale
>
>     Allmend" and I think it is essential, to make the cultural heritage
>
>     freely available in digital form. By experience I know, that there
>
>     are a lot of possible solutions, but most of them have some
>
>     disadvantages. Such as slow scanners, computer viruses, limits
>
>     in size and light conditions...
>
>     I went into the matter and found a convincing solution.
>
>     Based on latest standard cameras and other equipment I was
>
>     able to configure an economic system, which fits the need.
>

>     I spent many hours in research and testing. Surprisingly, not
>
>     even Nikon, the supplier of the camera module was aware, that
>
>     such a system is working without fail. Nobody did so far, it seems.
>
>     Only a few parts had to be manufactured. The surprising fact
>
>     is, that the quality of the system is even far above expectation.
>
>     That is the only critic I got from the Archive in Aarau, where
>
>     the device is in public operation.
>

>     Here some sample images:
>

> http://www.bjinstitute.org/downloads/reprostation/reprostation/samples.html
>

>     Here you find more informations (PDF):
>
>     Description of bji Reprostation in english
>
> <http://www.bjinstitute.org/downloads/reprostation/101102_reprostation_bji_s_en.pdf>
>
>     Description in german
>
> <http://www.bjinstitute.org/downloads/reprostation/100816_reprostation_bji_de.pdf>
>
>     This technology is more efficient than any scanner. It can be used to
>
>     capture printed matter, Photos from Albums, Slides, Negatives...
>
>     and it is mobile too. It can be moved into a museum or archive.
>

>     For interesting projects I am glad to contribute my professional
>
>     experience as well as hardware on lease base or sale. It will be a
>
>     pleasure to me, to demonstrate the abilities and give training to
>
>     volunteers.
>

>     Please let me know, if someone is interested in a free workshop
>
>     on that matter in January 2011 in Switzerland.
>
>     Warm regards from Hyderabad
>
>     Bruno
>
>     PS: on 7th Feb. I fly back to India.

> bj institute
> Bruno Jehle
>
> Zollrain 12 / CH-5000 Aarau / Switzerland
> Phone +41 62 836 40 41 / Mobile +41 79 329 74 44
> [...]

Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch