Fyi
---------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht ----------
Von: "Maarten Dammers" <maar...@mdammers.nl>
Datum: 04.05.2013 14:24
Betreff: [WikimediaMobile] Commons app and coordinates
An: <mobil...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi guys,

Last year we build the Wiki Loves Monuments mobile app [1]. In my opinion
this was a good learning experience. The app suggested monuments to take
photographs of based on you location. This information was coming from the
monuments database [2] using the api we build for that purpose [3]. The
monuments database contains over a million items [4], but the data isn't
very clean and i18n was an issue. We had to do a lot of hacking to
compensate for that.

So we need a better structured source of this information and we now have
that: Wikidata. Wikidata doesn't support coordinates yet, but that's just a
matter of time. At some point in the future it will be possible to get
coordinates for an item. If we harvest these items with coordinates and
make them searchable by location (point/bounding box) using for example
Solr/Lucene, we could have a suitable backend for the mobile app to get
information from. This wouldn't just be monuments, but every item with
coordinates. We started a task force [5] to import as much data as possible
about our cultural heritage, thus making the Monuments database in its
current form obsolete.

User story would be something like this: A user would have a way in the app
to find things to take photographs of in the app. User selects an object,
takes a photo. The fields are already filled out with the information from
Wikidata. The photo is uploaded to Wikimedia Commons and tagged with a
template like {{Depicts Wikidata|Q12345}}. This template can be used by the
bot operators on Commons to enhance the metadata of the image (for example
adding better categories).

Are ideas like this on the roadmap for the mobile app? Do you think I
missed something here?

Maarten

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/**Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_**
application<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application>