Congratulations to all the new officers and office-holders! I wish you plenty
of success with your new tasks/roles!

Beat

-----Original Message-----
From: wikimediach-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimediach-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Frédéric Schütz
Sent: Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 16:19
To: Mailing list for Wikimedia CH; Wikimedia Chapters general discussions;
wikimedi...@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimediach-l] Wikimedia CH has just hired two new directors

Dear all,

I'm very glad to tell you that Wikimedia CH has just hired two new directors.
Duc-Ahn Chung will be our new Chief Administrative Officer, starting in
November, and Charles Andrès, our former president of the board, will be our
new Chief Science Officer. Read on for more details!

When Chantal Ebongué, our CAO and first employee, told us she was planning to
leave, we set a recruiting committee to replace her. One of the reasons she was
leaving was that it was difficult to take care of both administrative work and
project work -- both because of the high workload, and because these two tasks
require very different competences. Thus, while drafting the job description,
the recruiting committee proposed to the board to hire two people. This was
accepted, and we now have filled these positions.

Duc-Anh ("Anh") Chung, our new CAO, originally studied hotel management, and
worked as project manager in different hotels around the world. She then worked
as an executive assistant in a start-up company in Geneva, in charge of all
administrative matters. Since May 2012, she is assistant director in a large
non-profit organization in Geneva. In this position, she is responsible for all
administrative matters, and has a wide experience helping a purely volunteer
organization transform itself into a professional structure.

Among other tasks, Ahn will be in charge of the human resources and the
finances of our association, including the annual fundraiser and the financial
side of the FDC application, and will report directly to the board.  She will
start working for Wikimedia CH on 1 November -- just in time for the fundraiser
:-)

Charles Andrès, our new CSO, was originally trained as a biologist; he received
a Master in Genetics followed by a PhD in Cellular Biology in France. Since
2007, he has worked as a senior scientist at the University of Neuchâtel, where
he is a researcher and lecturer in biology. He is a Wikipedian since 2007,
board member of Wikimedia CH since 2010 and the chairman of the board since
June 2012.

Charles will be responsible for all the projects conducted inside our
association, including both support of individual initiatives (members
projects) and institutional partnerships, and will be responsible for the
annual FDC application. Among other projects, he will oversee our GLAM
activities, as well as the development of our education program. He will report
directly to the board. Charles has started working part-time as CSO on 1
September (just in time for the preparation of the FDC application :-), and
will join us full time in early October.

The choice of a Chief Science Officer (CSO) position

The decision to create a CSO position stems from the fact that many of our
efforts (current and planned) are focused on "scientific" projects; by this we
mean not only that we have established many collaborations with academic
institutions, but also that we intend to drive our projects using a scientific
approach, as a tool to improve quality. We have received very good feedback on
this from many people in the Wikimedia community.

The choice of two directors rather than one executive director

In our current structure and given our level of development, the board still
takes care of many tasks traditionally in the hands of an executive director.
The choice of hiring two directors, each with well-defined areas of
competences, working closely together and with the board, was deemed the best
solution (note that despite the title of "directors", they will not simply
delegate the day-to-day work to other employees, but will actually perform most
of it).

This solution fits well with the Swiss culture, as even the Federal government
is organized following such a collegial structure
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Council_%28Switzerland%29 ).

We are also glad to have been able to make a balanced hiring: not only have we
hired one man and one woman, but we have one director who knows the Wikimedia
movement very well, and another one who will bring a fresh pair of eyes.
Unfortunately, we have not been able to find a balance between the different
languages spoken in Switzerland, as we hired two native French speakers, but we
have made sure that our staff can cover adequately the different language
communities in the country.

Governance and management of potential conflicts of interests

At the time when Chantal left, Charles Andrès had indicated an interest in a
potential position within the Wikimedia movement. As such, he was not part of
the recruiting committee who suggested the creation of a CSO position and did
not participate to the board discussion that approved this position. He did not
participate either to any of the discussions that took place afterwards during
the hiring process for both positions, until the final choice made by the rest
of the board, and resigned immediately after being told he was chosen. During
the process, we received the advice of Dominique Freymond, a widely-recognized
Swiss expert in governance (http://www.mas-ltd.ch/index.php?page=97), who
helped us eliminate possible conflicts of interests. In particular, it was
determined that our president did not have to resign during the selection
process.

The main people taking part in the recruiting committee were Chantal Ebongué,
Ilario Valdelli and Frédéric Schütz, who followed the entire process. Several
other people from the board, the staff, our members and external people were
involved at one step or another, commenting on the process or the applications
and participating to the interviews.

----------------
Board transition

The board has chosen current board member Patrick Kenel as president of the
board ad interim, and Frédéric Schütz as vice-president ad interim.
The current priority goes to the upcoming FDC application and the annual
fundraiser; the organization of these activities does not depend on the
transition, and so will not be affected in any way.

The next general assembly is planned on 22 March 2014, and a new president will
be elected at that time.

Before finishing this long email, I would like to thank Chantal Ebongué again
for the huge work she did while working with us, and for her collaboration
within the hiring committee.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions!

Frédéric
Board member of Wikimedia CH, in the name of the core of the recruiting
committee: Chantal Ebongué, Ilario Valdelli and Frédéric Schütz